Google Chrome

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Google Chrome

Post by kev@frames »

So what do you reckon to googles new web browser?
Providing it proves secure, and gets a couple of the addons that we get in firefox, I reckon they are onto a good un, it'll give IE8 a run for its money I bet.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Re: Google Chrome

Post by John »

It is hard to change from software that you have become familiar with. I have been using Internet Explorer for years and have kind of got used to it. I know where everything is, and I have modified the configuration settings to suit the way that I work.

However, with all the new web applications that are coming along, perhaps now is the time to consider a brand new state of the art browser, one that is not carrying a load of backward compatibility baggage.

I have been playing around with Chrome for a few days now and still can't get comfortable with using the same box for entering both search terms and web address, but I expect that would become more familiar with time.

I was glad that I had it on hand yesterday when Chrome was able to handle the registration procedure in iStockphoto, whereas the site froze in IE7 every time the submit button was clicked.

I see there are slight differences in the way that Chrome renders the forum.
Attachments
The forum in Chrome
The forum in Chrome
forum.gif (27.09 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

I installed IE8 the other day, it still has a few bugs but it is the beta version. It has a few new tricks that I like for instance the accelerators are a good idea.
I did try Chrome but found that it was not as refined as IE. A bit basic maybe? But that could be a good thing.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I haven't tried the Google, but I switched to FireFox just two months ago, and I love it. Since it is an open source application, anyone can write plug ins for it (not me, of course, I don’t have the talent), so you can add only those features that you consider important to you.

And the basic shell is real purdy, but if you don’t like it, there are several “skins” that have been developed.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine