Page 1 of 1
Framing a Golfball
Posted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 8:34 pm
by TheFrameShed
I'm hoping someone might have some advice on framing a golfball. I am fairly new to framing, just starting out and have taken in a golfball signed by Nick Faldo to frame. Has any one any ideas on how to 'mount' the ball, I dont want to screw into it ?
Thanks in advance
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 8:53 pm
by Roboframer
Tulle (bridal veil type netting) is a good method.
Some details
here. and
here and some photos below, but it's not a golf ball in the photo, it's a polystyrene ball. A golf ball, being dimpled would make the tulle practically invisible.
DSCN0250.JPG
DSCN0256.JPG
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 9:57 pm
by TheFrameShed
Once again, a solution in minutes! thanks robo.
I am still slightly daunted as this will also be the first box frame I have made, talk about in at the deep end. Customer wants a plain wood, what's best practice for holding the glass in place in a deep rebate moulding? Lion do some mouldings with matching spacers, are these any good?
thanks again
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:34 pm
by Roboframer
Deep rebated frames with matching spacers are fine, as long as the rebate is deep enough.
If you have a frame with a deep enough rebate you could also make spacers out of foam board, or foam board lined with mount board, just colour the cut edge of the mountboard black, or use black core board, as you will probably be able to see that with the glass in place.
Or, and maybe better still, as you won't have to buy anything, have a look at what wide flat profiles you have in stock,
and do this.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:04 pm
by TheFrameShed
The stacked mouldings look fantastic, thanks for all the advice, give it a while and I will post back the results of my adventures in golfball mounting!
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 8:55 am
by Merlin
Here is my test example that I did a number of years ago.
Using a 4" cut off from a picture tube - to represent the hole and green baize as the grass.
The golf ball was fixed to the T with two part epoxy.
golfball.jpg
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:59 am
by framemaker
Lion do some nifty acrylic holders for golf,cricket, and tennis balls
I think the easiest frame to use would be a Rose & Hollis very deep (60mm rebate) box frame in obeche or tulip (Simons also do it in obeche), then use a R&H obeche fillet or the foamboard solution for the spacers.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 12:02 pm
by Jonny2morsos
Lion Golf ball holder is catalogue No 6070 p52 Lion Trade catalogue 2008.
john.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:05 pm
by TheFrameShed
Just when I was convinced the tulle as the best method, now I'm leaning towards the Lion ball clip
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 2:53 pm
by Roboframer
The ball clips are fine, as long as they are not made from the same stuff as 'mighty mounts' which can 'craze' or crack and also yellow, and IMHO are far more visible than tulle anyway.
For a bog standard ball I'd have no issues with adhesive, but I'd still use tulle!
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 5:29 pm
by TheFrameShed
Just seen the picture and price of the ball clip, £6!!. Despite the cost difference, I think you're right Robo, the tulle may well look better anyway.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sun 16 Nov, 2008 7:05 am
by realhotglass
TFS, g'day.
£6 yes, but they do come all the way from 'stralia ! : )
Tulle, Lion clip, suppose it comes down to time too.
The clip is a couple of minutes, where I imagine the tulle would take a bit longer with setting up and fixing.
Oh, and the acrylic isn't like the Mighty Mount product.
Won't craze or break down with time (even thought most framing nowadays should have UV glass to delay this greatly).
I think it comes down to one (MM) being injection moulded, while the other (Lion) is formed from flat extruded sheet.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 1:17 pm
by TheFrameShed
RHG, g'day back to Oz,
Thanks for the info on the Lion ball clip, it makes a difference to know that it won't deteriorate over time and it would certainly be the easier option. I think I will get one to have a look anyway.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 8:57 pm
by TheFrameShed
As promised attached picture of completed box fame for the signed golf ball. Thanks to roboframer for the hints about stacked mouldings, I eventually used ARTS 007 for the box & the matching smaller version 008 for the face. I wasn't confident of my own abilities mounting the ball with tulle so I used the Lion ball clip(thanks jonny2) which IMO looks great.
Thanks for all the replies and help, this forum really has proved an invaluable source of advice.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:18 pm
by kev@frames
hey thats nice simon, good job

Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:25 pm
by Roboframer
TaDaaaaaa!
Nice job - now doesn't that just beat the carp out of a box poking out the back of a frame (what I call the 'cuckoo clock' look)
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:34 pm
by TheFrameShed
Thanks Kev. I tell you what made the job a lot easier, my Fletcher Multimaster point driver (the yellow one), not only are the points flexible but the hole in them for screws made joining the two frames an easy task. Also excellent for securing the sides of a canvas as opposed to z clips, being a lot neater. Good old Dad, I bought one on his advice.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Fri 19 Dec, 2008 5:29 pm
by realhotglass
Great looking package Simon.
Very smart design, it looks brilliant.
Bet the client was wrapped with it.
Re: Framing a Golfball
Posted: Sat 20 Dec, 2008 6:50 pm
by TheFrameShed
Thanks Les, customer was very pleased with the job, so much so he is digging out a signed golf club now!.....to be continued. The ball clip was of better quality than i expected and complete with two washers, nut and bolt, good call. Only problem now is i have got a bit obsessed by stacked mouldings, trying all manner of concoctions.