I must use conservation materials,thanks for any ideas
tape or hinges or...
-
aerosol
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:58 pm
- Location: Ireland
- Organisation: Ireland
- Interests: woodwork,travelling,my kids
tape or hinges or...
Hi, trying to figure out the best way to float an expensive piece of art to a backing board.Its on cardboard box card,quite thick,approx 280mmx 360mm.
I must use conservation materials,thanks for any ideas
I must use conservation materials,thanks for any ideas
-
Roboframer
Re: tape or hinges or...
Must it be floated and if so why?
If it is not essential to float it, then, because it is on board, you can put a window mount JUST over it and use no adhesive at all.
Put the window mount face down, position the board and then make the board flush with strips of mountboard and/or foam board, butted right up to the piece and stuck to the back of the windowmount with a combination of double sided tape and PVA - none of it near the artwork.
Then put an under-mount over that lot, stuck to the strips you used to make the board flush. A basic sink mount - no adhesive touching the art at all.
If it MUST be floated than that's a whole different ball game, but more info would be useful. By 'carboard box card' do you mean packaging material? If so then the artwork itself is painted on an acidic support and all you need worry about is not adding anything that will speed up its inevitable demise!
Wet mounting with starch paste, or even Lineco neutral ph adhesive, onto a preservation (conservation) quality board may be an option as the materials you would be using would be of a higher quality than what is being mounted!
Also, depending on the weight, pass-through hinges may be fine,
(Note to the forum - this member asked this question twice, once 52 hours ago and again 16 hours ago - I saw the questions but thought I'd wait - nothing happened - so here I am - again - this, and more justifies my worries about the place)
(edit) Oh, and if anyone feels a need to respond to the last para in brackets, think about why you feel compelled to do that, but not to give advice or ask for elaboration on the problem posed, or even welcome a new member. Start a new topic instead.
If it is not essential to float it, then, because it is on board, you can put a window mount JUST over it and use no adhesive at all.
Put the window mount face down, position the board and then make the board flush with strips of mountboard and/or foam board, butted right up to the piece and stuck to the back of the windowmount with a combination of double sided tape and PVA - none of it near the artwork.
Then put an under-mount over that lot, stuck to the strips you used to make the board flush. A basic sink mount - no adhesive touching the art at all.
If it MUST be floated than that's a whole different ball game, but more info would be useful. By 'carboard box card' do you mean packaging material? If so then the artwork itself is painted on an acidic support and all you need worry about is not adding anything that will speed up its inevitable demise!
Wet mounting with starch paste, or even Lineco neutral ph adhesive, onto a preservation (conservation) quality board may be an option as the materials you would be using would be of a higher quality than what is being mounted!
Also, depending on the weight, pass-through hinges may be fine,
(Note to the forum - this member asked this question twice, once 52 hours ago and again 16 hours ago - I saw the questions but thought I'd wait - nothing happened - so here I am - again - this, and more justifies my worries about the place)
(edit) Oh, and if anyone feels a need to respond to the last para in brackets, think about why you feel compelled to do that, but not to give advice or ask for elaboration on the problem posed, or even welcome a new member. Start a new topic instead.
-
aerosol
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:58 pm
- Location: Ireland
- Organisation: Ireland
- Interests: woodwork,travelling,my kids
Re: tape or hinges or...
Thanks roboframer,
To get the effect I'm wanting,it must be floated.
The piece is on packaging card(I realize the irony of this and me wanting to use conservation matss
) The medium is spary paint and will fade fast (and hugely devalue) if I didn't use uv glass.As you said,I'm only slowing its demise by using acid free matts as the card its on isn't!The piece was one I got commisioned by the artist,I could of choose any material to have it on and liked the effect of the ripped card best.
I posted the question in another thread originally without thinking it needed to be in a new post of its own so as not to be overlooked possibly,sorry
To get the effect I'm wanting,it must be floated.
The piece is on packaging card(I realize the irony of this and me wanting to use conservation matss
I posted the question in another thread originally without thinking it needed to be in a new post of its own so as not to be overlooked possibly,sorry
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: tape or hinges or...
By packaging card, do you mean corrugated stuff? If so it is likely to be more stable re expansion than your average piece of high-quality watercolour paper. Albeit full of acid and other nasty things.
But it's not likely to self-destruct in a short period. You may even find that it will last for years and years and not show any signs of deterioration.
If it is indeed corrugated card, then one advantage is that it would be very light in weight. Therefore four tiny dots of adhesive stategically placed (as Robo says) would hold it firmly in place. The less you need to use will make it easier to remove if it ever comes to that.
Will the paint fade? Depends on the paint. If it's cellouse auto paint it should be fairly resistant to fading.
If it is indeed corrugated card, then one advantage is that it would be very light in weight. Therefore four tiny dots of adhesive stategically placed (as Robo says) would hold it firmly in place. The less you need to use will make it easier to remove if it ever comes to that.
Will the paint fade? Depends on the paint. If it's cellouse auto paint it should be fairly resistant to fading.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
-
aerosol
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:58 pm
- Location: Ireland
- Organisation: Ireland
- Interests: woodwork,travelling,my kids
Re: tape or hinges or...
Thanks prospero,the card is corrugated. I think the four dots of adhesive should be enough.
I don't ever see me selling the piece unless my artist acheives Banksy status!Then it'll go towards my pension
Will Lineco neutral ph adhesive as roboframer suggested "peel off" leaving no mark? Thanks again 
I don't ever see me selling the piece unless my artist acheives Banksy status!Then it'll go towards my pension
-
Roboframer
Re: tape or hinges or...
Absotively not!aerosol wrote:Will Lineco neutral ph adhesive as roboframer suggested "peel off" leaving no mark?
Is this thing quite glossy? If so you could encapsulate it, well, you could anyway if you don't mind it being glossy, (but not really from head on) there are also clear corner pockets, if you don't mind seeing them - the thing may be too thick for pockets though.
Two 'no adhesive' methods.
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: tape or hinges or...
Brainwave.
Thread fine nylon line along the corrugations and through holes in the backing. The bits showing at the ends will hardly be visible.
Thread fine nylon line along the corrugations and through holes in the backing. The bits showing at the ends will hardly be visible.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
-
Roboframer
Re: tape or hinges or...
That I like!prospero wrote:Brainwave.![]()
Thread fine nylon line along the corrugations and through holes in the backing. The bits showing at the ends will hardly be visible.
Only thing I'd say is that line may be a bit 'sharp' - I'd go for very thin melinex (clear polyester) straps cut from a roll, advantage being that they are flat.
Then again I have a huge roll handy Here's where I got it
-
aerosol
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:58 pm
- Location: Ireland
- Organisation: Ireland
- Interests: woodwork,travelling,my kids
Re: tape or hinges or...
Thanks once again!! I'm lovin your brainwave prospero, what a great idea
Thats a great link you posted roboframer,thankyou
I'm now ready ,all dilemas sorted,to finish my wifes Xmas prezzie(well its mine really
)
Thanks once more,I shall be back again,I'm really enjoying my framing and have a large porfollio of prints and stuff that have been under my bed for too long now
Thats a great link you posted roboframer,thankyou
I'm now ready ,all dilemas sorted,to finish my wifes Xmas prezzie(well its mine really
Thanks once more,I shall be back again,I'm really enjoying my framing and have a large porfollio of prints and stuff that have been under my bed for too long now
