Online Storage

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Online Storage

Post by John »

Online backups have become a vital part of our disaster recovery strategy at Scenes, and the daily upload of our most important business documents to the free 2GB of space in our Mozy account has saved our bacon on more than one occasion when things have gone wrong.

Some companies offering a substantial amount of free space, so there is no excuse for not making regular, safe, backups of your important data.

Some more free space on offer:
25GB Windows SkyDrive
10GB humyo.com
10GB 123-Drive
ross

Re: Online Storage

Post by ross »

Hi John

Haven't heard of online backups before

How secure are they

Why are they any better than saving to a "stick" which you can do on alternate units, thereby creating a grandfather, father, son storage of data system that you always have under your own control

In what way did the online backup save your bacon any better than the more traditional basis of backup

Ross
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I would never rely exclusively on an online backup. You never know when the remote site might be down, and there is no guarantee that the host is going to remain in business. For example AOL recently announced the impending closure of their online storage service, Xdrive on January 12, 2009.

If you are worried about the security of your data, many of these providers offer an encryption service. And of course there is nothing to prevent you from encrypting your own files before uploading them.

I have configured Mozy to backup my most vital data several times a day. This is done incrementally, which allows the retrieval of the files as they were it any date in their history.

Many people also use these services to share pictures and other media files.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Dell online storage http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topic ... l=en&s=bsd

Diino have free online storage for home/private users http://www.diino.com
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Dermot
A blast from the past there. Long time no hear.

Welcome once again
John GCF
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Thanks John

Just catching up……..things have been very busy……and opportunities had to be worked on………..which have worked out even better than I expected…..who knows with the way things are going I might even give some consideration to returning to picture framing again…..in a year or two….

Life is good, despite all the doom merchants that are around……..2009 is looking like it could be the best year I will ever have in business……….one project has come off with wonderful results…..it should be completed by mid 2010….

Hope you are well and that business is good for you…..

Regards

Dermot :D