Dust particles in frame

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
vapoureyes

Dust particles in frame

Post by vapoureyes »

Any good ideas on getting rid of particles behind the glass after framing as from time to time i have this problem. :head:
prospero

Re: Dust particles in frame

Post by prospero »

If only. :? Take it all to bits and put it all back together again. :cry:

Are you talking particles of pigment that come off pastel and charcoal drawings? Or just general-purpose detritus?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

vapoureyes wrote:Any good ideas on getting rid of particles behind the glass after framing as from time to time i have this problem. :head:
Ah, the cursed “Flumb” – the scourge of picture framers everywhere. :angry:

Many swear by “canned air” or a pneumatic hose to remove dirt and debris from glass and mats (mounts). I tend to swear at them. I fear that the propellant may contain droplets of moisture to louse up the mats.

I like to use a “camel hair” draftsman's brush to dust off the glass and mounts before fitting the frame. The bristles are soft and won’t scratch or scuff the mat.

Before you seal the frame, view the glass from an angle with a reflected light source. If there are any flumbs trapped beneath the glass, you should be able to see them easily and send them on their way.

If you have problems with pastel dust, you may need to cut your mount with a reverse bevel or construct a float mount so that those particles drop behind the mat when they shed.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

You can get this from Lion http://www.lionpic.co.uk/(S(gv1thr453o5yji454rqqp0nk))/product/SpeckGRABBER-SGXL-Kit,9140.aspx it is made by Kinetronics
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

vapoureyes wrote:Any good ideas on getting rid of particles behind the glass after framing as from time to time i have this problem. :head:
Only from time to time? You are blessed! ;) :lol:

To help with your frustration, here's a light-hearted entry on the Flumb from the Framing Oracle: Link

For further amusement, while you're on the Oracle check out the listing for Goobers (a close relative of the Flumb).

I use an air gun running off a compressor. It's one of my favourite (and most useful) bits of kit in the workshop. The guns are cheap as chips (try eBay). If you already have a compressor, I think they're a great additonal piece of equipment (never had the moisture droplet problem described by Bill, but I'm only a small operation. Might be an issue in a busier workshop... :?)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Moglet wrote:
I use an air gun running off a compressor. It's one of my favourite (and most useful) bits of kit in the workshop. The guns are cheap as chips (try eBay). If you already have a compressor, I think they're a great additonal piece of equipment (never had the moisture droplet problem described by Bill, but I'm only a small operation. Might be an issue in a busier workshop... :?)
"As God is my witness! I will never have flumbs in my frames again........"
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
markw

Post by markw »

I find as i get older and my eye sight fails me - flumbs dont seem to be the problem they once were. My advice, :shock: myopia.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

markw wrote: My advice, :shock: myopia.
My goodness! My Guinness!! ;)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

prospero wrote:"As God is my witness! I will never have flumbs in my frames again........
Reminds me of seeing Holly Johnson interviewed many moons ago. When asked about pet ambitions, he replied to the interviewer that he'd love someone to make a movie featuring the line: "Frankie, my dear, I don't give a d@mn!" :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Isn't the traditional method a peacock feather?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
markw

Post by markw »

whatever turns you on..... :shock:
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

WelshFramer wrote:Isn't the traditional method a peacock feather?
Some people think it's highly unlucky to have peacock feathers in the house. Not heard anything about workshops... ;)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

(My red)

Anyone ever done this ........?

Large-ish frame - annoying flumb near the edge - (thinks) hmmm, if I just remove the tape that side and just four or five points, with the frame face up I can bend out the mount(s) backing and get a long thin flat brush in there .....

But you only succeed in pushing it further in, or another flumb appears, and another, but juuuuuust out of reach. So - hmmmmm - just remove one or two more points and I can bend the mounts etc out a bit further and get my brush further in/along.

This continues until you are down to about 5 points and you're STILL trying to poke about without undoing 'it all'

Worst ones though are the ones that appear after final fitting but the glass/mount/backing package has been sealed as well!

They're the special flumbs that are totally clear until after about 10 mins contact with glass. The flumb pervert always stays at least one step ahead of the framer. I just wear earplugs and play Rick Astley records all day - that even keeps the PRS away!
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Every time I remove the tape and a few points and give the frame a few taps the flumb disappears..................until I tape it all up again have another look and it has crept back in :head:

So.........I take everything out of the frame and start again at the same time thinking I should have done this the first time. Never learn do we!

John.
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Moglet wrote: Some people think it's highly unlucky to have peacock feathers in the house. Not heard anything about workshops... ;)
Think I was wrong about that. I think it should be an ostrich feather.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Normally I tape around the glass/window-mount/art/backing-mount package with P90 tape. I do that with the package glass side up so it's much easier to check for dust as I do it. Once the package is sealed then nothing should get in.

Last week I ran out of P90 (and so did Lion) and I assembled some frames without sealing the package. I had much more trouble with flumbs.

I also use flexible points quite a lot - particularly on pastels or anything where there might be loose bits.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
vapoureyes

Post by vapoureyes »

Thank you all for your titbits,will take all your ideas together to fight the war on dust particles and hope life will be less problematic.
Vapoureyes
Pictureman

Post by Pictureman »

What we use is the air gun, clean the glass then holding the frame as near upright as possible give it a good blow from top to bottom, try and get a glare on the glass this helps to see anything you have missed, then laying it flat again (gently) the artwork is put in place but do not slide it in....and then the backing board again put in straight down and do not slide it in.....Usually works but not always....Taping the glass and mount together is another good way, and it can be done very quickly, I just use eco tape folding it around glass and mount then cutting the excess off the glass, holding thre blade between thumb and forefinger and also the forefinger runs down the side of the glass and acts as a guide leaving around 3mm of tape on the glass...Jobs done....
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Pictureman,

Doesn't your "ecotape" method leave you with the potential problem of additional work needed to clean tape adhesive residue off the glass?

I'd like to add a note for any framing newcomers considering the incorporation of sealing mount/pic/undermount sandwiches into their standard workflow for appropriate jobs. I personally would not advocate the use of ecotape for the sealing of frame sandwiches. I use the sandwich taping method on about 90% of what I frame, and I use P90 tape for same. It is possible to apply the tape so that only a 1-2mm overlap on the glass side is needed: takes a little practice at first, but with a little practice, it is quick and easy to do, there is no need for trimming, and therefore no potential risk of the need for additional labour time to clean up tape residue after trimming.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
valpendleton
Organisation: Rightangle
Interests: painting, photography,cooking, reading.

Post by valpendleton »

We use that see-through plastic / acetate ? stuff that you get round shirt-collars when you buy a new shirt. You know what I mean? Rub the strips on your head ( I'm assuming you have hair! :wink: ) or on a woolly jumper, to create a bit of static. Slide the strip under the glass & the offending particles attach themselves to it. This can often be done by just removing a few pins, as someone else mentioned earlier & not taking the whole frame apart.