InkFlow systems, ICC profiles, etc.

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

InkFlow systems, ICC profiles, etc.

Post by Not your average framer »

I am now considering buying an InkFlow system for my recently acquired A3 ink jet printer, which now seems to be working properly after a bit of head cleaning and fiddling around with it.

This being new territory for me, I'm still learning what it's all about. So I've got a few questions, which hopefully will enlighten myself and others too!

It seems that I may need to do some calibration or colour correction adjustments to get the best results for my combination of printer, ink and paper. Also it appears that this is normally done by running a printer test, send off the resulting print out and receiving a ICC profile which can be loaded into the computer.

So my immediate questions are as follows:

Do I need a particular item of software to enable me to use this ICC profile or is it just loaded onto the system and that's that?

If I need extra software, can someone please explain what it is, how to get it and how much it will cost?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Re: InkFlow systems, ICC profiles, etc.

Post by WelshFramer »

If you want someone to provide you with a profile then you just need to ask them for a standard file that you print. You'll need something like Photoshop to open and print the file.

You need to print it on the paper you are going to use with the printer settings you are going to use. You then post the printed result off and receive a profile back by email.

I can do a profile for you if you like. I've never done a 'remote' profiling before so I'd class it as an experiment and wouldn't make any charge. If you're interested then get in touch over the weekend.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

Lion's Fine Print division sell InkFlow systems, and if Fine Print is run as well as the rest of Lion(why wouldn't it be?) they will have an expert or 2 who would be able to answer all your questions
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I use the Fotospeed inkflow system on my Epson R2400.

It uses the Ultra 4K pigment inks.

If you purchase any Fotospeed papers, you get a free ICC profile for each set so their is no need for any extra software.

I have no complaints with the colours. They are true to the original..
John GCF
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Mike (WelshFramer), framejunkie & John (Merlin),

Thanks for your replies, I'm slowly un-picking the technical side of this issue which is not necessarily as straight forward as one might hope. I've spoken to Lion and their supplier (who I wont name out of respect to Lion) and kind of got have the answer, unfortunately the rest is down to having up to date image processing software on your computer or if you have an old enough printer and print driver, in which case the printer driver may have the facility to accept ICC profiles.

My image processing software (Paint shop pro 6) does not appear to support this, but it does appear that my printer driver does so. Unfortunately the information about this is a little thin on detail, so I'm still trying to make sure that I know what I'm doing before spending £132 on the pigment based InkFlow system.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I use Photoshop Elements 5 and that accepts the ICC profiles with no problem
John GCF
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

Mark, which printer have you got ?.
Pat
Not your average framer

The Crofter wrote:Mark, which printer have you got ?
Hi Pat,

It's the Epson 1290, it will print onto paper upto A3+ and cost me £30 from the local auction. I figure I got a great deal!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
The Crofter

Post by The Crofter »

Sounds good to me.

I have a Lyson CIS for an Epson 2400 which I would have passed on to you but obviously the wrong printer. My 2400 is dead so this is just sitting round and gathering dust.
Pat
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

Why does the printer never last as long as the rest of it? I'm on my 3rd printer in 12 years, and its started to make weird noises. All 3 of the boxes they came in are in great shape and still in active service. they'll probably all outlive me
prospero

Post by prospero »

Never had much luck with printers. :P The one I have now isn't bad, but I got it mainly for the scanner (It does trannies and negs) EpsonRX520. One thing that really annoys me. If you want to print a photo you have to go into the 'Properties and set to the Colour Photo setting or whatever. But it always defaults back to the Document setting. :evil: So if you are printing a lot of colour images you have to go though this setup rigmaroll every print.

My exp is that if you use them a lot , they last longer. They don't like long periods of non-use.

Same with most other complicated machinery come to think of it. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
The Crofter

Post by The Crofter »

Prospero, if you select start, printers & faxes, right click on your printer and select printing preferences it opens the print dialogue box. This looks the same as the box when selecting print through photoshop etc but whatever you set here remains sticky. You should be able to set the Colour Photo option as a default.
Pat