Cutting DiBond with Print already mounted
Posted: Tue 23 Jun, 2009 8:14 am
Hello everyone,
Recently, there has been a spike in requests for mounting of large scale photographs; sizes ranging from 40" x 60" to as big as 61" x 120". I use a roller laminator for the mounting and for these sizes, I will mount them on 4mm thk DiBond sheets.
Because of concern of the print slipping along the long length, I always mount the prints onto DiBond larger than the prints and then cut the DiBond down to size after mounting.
As it is difficult to get substrate cutters that cna cut comfortably lengths of 60" and beyond, I use a hand held saw that works on guiderails that are able to go beyond 4m length. However, when the saw cuts both the DiBond and the photo at the same time, the edges of the photo will always flare up. I wonder if there is a secret to achieving a nice and clean cut (like from a knife edge) when cutting with the saw blade?
Thank you.
Regards,
Steven Yip CPF
Singapore
Recently, there has been a spike in requests for mounting of large scale photographs; sizes ranging from 40" x 60" to as big as 61" x 120". I use a roller laminator for the mounting and for these sizes, I will mount them on 4mm thk DiBond sheets.
Because of concern of the print slipping along the long length, I always mount the prints onto DiBond larger than the prints and then cut the DiBond down to size after mounting.
As it is difficult to get substrate cutters that cna cut comfortably lengths of 60" and beyond, I use a hand held saw that works on guiderails that are able to go beyond 4m length. However, when the saw cuts both the DiBond and the photo at the same time, the edges of the photo will always flare up. I wonder if there is a secret to achieving a nice and clean cut (like from a knife edge) when cutting with the saw blade?
Thank you.
Regards,
Steven Yip CPF
Singapore