Page 1 of 1

Removing prints from self adhesive board

Posted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 8:26 am
by Not your average framer
I need to remove a print from the self adhesive foam board which the original framer had stuck it to. I have heard it said that there is a particular temperature which if exceeded will cause the adhesive to fail and permit the print to be peeled off afterwards, even when cold.

I've never done this and don't know anyone else who has either. So I'm not even sure if this notion has any basis in fact. At the very least I have my doubts. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark

Re: Removing prints from self adhesive board

Posted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 8:35 am
by Nigel Nobody
Good luck Mark. Don't know if heat will work. That sounds like another urban myth. It might cook the print onto the backing even more.
What about getting a new print?

Re: Removing prints from self adhesive board

Posted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 8:37 am
by WelshFramer
If it's ArtCare Restore then it's 71°C.

If you're not sure what the adhesive is then it could be any temperature. 451°F would certainly solve the problem. :D

Re: Removing prints from self adhesive board

Posted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 8:53 am
by framejunkie
Personally i would go nowhere near this job. If the customer would stand the expense I'd send it to a conservator, if not I'd shrug and apologise. If you do go ahead ensure the customer is aware of the risks and get it in writing that you have their permission and that its not your problem if it goes wrong.