Joining slips any tips ?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

Joining slips any tips ?

Post by Keadyart »

Hello everyone,
this is my first post,although I have been browsing and using the tips for a while,and have found the forum very helpful.
Ok,to get to the point,I require your tips and hints for joining and securing slips to openings in a mount.
Also,do I need to put a spacer between the mount and the glass when assembling a project which includes a slip in the mount aperture ?
Yours
Keadyart.
More So

Post by More So »

Hi Keadyart,

Welcome to the forum.

You can buy a range of self-adhesive fillets which can be applied to the mount with ease, and do considerably enhance its appearance. I get mine from Lion, but I'm sure they are available elsewhere.

However, if you are using a flat slip for this purpose, it can be positioned and temporarily held in place with self adhesive tape at the corners, then fixed by gummed tape along its length.

Not sure why you would require a spacer between the glass and mount, but many framers would build up the space between the back and mount, when using a flat slip, with 5mm foam-core.
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon
Keadyart

fillets,slips

Post by Keadyart »

Thank you for your info More So.Unfortunately I don't have any self-adhesive slips(I get my stock from Arqadia)but I will have to look at the Lion catalogue.Until then I will try the taping method.
I enquired about a spacer between the mount and the glass,as the slip sits proud of the mountcard i.e.when the slip is placed behind the mountcard,the profile of the slip is still proud of the mountcard.
Thank again.
Keadyart
More So

Post by More So »

Please forgive me if I have got the wrong end of the stick (not exactly a rare occurrence :roll: ), but isn't your slip attached to the back of the mount?
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon
Keadyart

Post by Keadyart »

Sorry More So,
the slip is to be attached to the back of the mount,but the slip profile is such that the protruding part is still higher than the mount.Is there any way of posting a picture or sketch,as my description is obviously confusing .
Keadart
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Keadyart,

Like MS I thought that you were talking about a flat slip. However now I understand the type of slip that you are talking about.

How far above the front surface of the mount does the slip project?

I would not worry too much about trying to make a spacer between glass and mount for a mm or two. If it is deeper than that, the problem will be making the mount rigid enough to span across the width of the frame without warping or buckling. Remember that when using spacers the mount does not have the benefit of support that it would normally get from the glass.

Posting a picture is not too difficult if you have a bit of webspace. Just upload the image to your site then quote the url of your image in the body of your post eg. http://www.mysite.mydirectory/mypicture.jpg and surround the url with [img]and[/img].

When preparing a picture to post, try not to exceed 5 or 6 inches in size with a resolution of 72 dpi - it makes for a quicker page display.
Keadyart

Post by Keadyart »

Thank you John,
we eventually got there,the slip protudes no more than 3mm.I will proceed
wothout the use of a spacer.Hopefully thee will be no warping or buckling as the mount is only about 24" square.Again thanks.
Keadyart.