Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Post Reply
Not your average framer
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
Location: Glorious Devon

Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm looking for a seriously hotter that usual heat gun. I used to have one, but it died a few years ago and I've no idea which make it was as it had been re-branded for the supplier who no longer have it in their catalogue.
Unfortunately most of the newer guns are not anything like as hot. Any ideas please!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
The Crofter
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: Shrewsbury
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography
Location: Shrewsbury
Contact:

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by The Crofter »

You may like to try CPC or RS Components. I have used guns to reterminate underwater cables and they chuck out serious heat.
Pat
Not your average framer
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
Location: Glorious Devon

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Pat,

I'll check it out.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by JFeig »

You can fine them at a house paint supply store. They use them to strip old paint from surfaces with the aid of a putty knife.
Jerome Feig CPF®
Not your average framer
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
Location: Glorious Devon

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Jerry,

That's the type I've got, but I used to have one which was much hotter than they seem to be these days. I like to treat oak with steel wood dissolved in nitric acid and then dry it with a very hot, very intense heat.

The range of colours produced is best at the highest temperatures and the barely adequate range of paint stripper heat guns which are the main ones in the shops don't produce the same effect.

With enough heat, you can get traces of reds, blues, blacks and purples appearing in the grain of the wood. The effect is rubbish on most softwoods, but works well on oak and ash. I found out about this on a website about making and finishing guitars.

For those who are thinking of trying this, don't do it unless you have a fume cabinet, acid resistant elbow length rubber gloves and a full face visor. The fumes are not nice!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by JFeig »

I guess it all depends on the brands you have available. One of my guns is rated @ 850F° (454°C)..... the other, designed for shrink wrapping is much cooler.


This one is rated at 1,100°F
Jerome Feig CPF®
Spit
Posts: 1102
Joined: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Glandwr
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC
Location: Pembrokeshire
Contact:

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by Spit »

I've got a dewalt dw 340 fully variable from cool to roasting, it's excellent - I use it for drying paints and shrink wrapping. anything above halfway and it starts scorching wood, I think it goes up to 600deg.... is that hot enough? Very robust build.

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?cooki ... s&P_ID=368
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : framing.mad
Not your average framer
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
Location: Glorious Devon

Re: Looking for a hotter that usual heat gun.

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Steve,

600 degrees, that's perfect. I'll be getting one soon!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Post Reply