PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
bilhughes
Organisation: simple signman
Interests: signs construction of sign related stuff

Which mat cutter is this please?

Post by bilhughes »

I have been learning with this forum,the grumble and various videos on the net
This lady Debbie Reeves makes mat cutting l;ook so simple. I have a keen-cut lazer cutter but the mat cutter in this video looks so smooth to use she does not have to set each time and I would like to learn to cut mats by eye not with all the adjustments of my keencut, like debbie does, there seems more skill and it might be something I should learn from the start rather than later on
I would love to know which variety of cutter she uses in this video if you know please

[youtube]1h3mvQDZnBw[/youtube]

thank you
prospero

Re: Which mat cutter is this please?

Post by prospero »

Looks a bit like C&H going by the cutter bar. But it looks as though it has no guides on it. (???)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That video is aimed at hobbyists and artists. She started with a standard size - 20x16 - and worked in to the artwork from that instead of out from the artwork to determine the glass size - the mat margins were not equal - I could really rip on far more in that video, but .....

If you really want to learn how to cut mats 'by eye' - then just don't use the margin guide and start/end of cut stops on your laser. Just ignore them and draw lines on the back of the mount instead. Maybe it's handy knowing how to do that - but you'll only need to for multiple apertures - and you can still use the guides and stops for parts of those anyway.

I've no idea what type of cutter the woman in that video was using - but yours is better - it has a margin guide and start/end of cut stops; no need to draw lines; no need, if properly calibrated, to 'finish off' corners by hand with a loose blade.

You've got a Morso instead of a mitre box & tenon saw; an underpinner instead of a hammer, nails, nailset and a collection of filling waxes and you've got a laser instead of whatever she was using.

I see the video was about cutting a double mount, but it only showed cutting the top mount - maybe there's a part 2 somewhere?

Anyway - here's how to cut a double mount on your laser in less time than she took to cut just the top part.

Let's say the glass (rebate) size is 20x16 and you want 3" mount margins (so, aperture size is 14x10") and 1/4" of the bottom mount visible.

Cut two boards for the top and bottom mounts - top 20x16, bottom ever so slighly smaller. (If it's a complete framing job and you have a wall cutter, cut the undermount/backing/glass while you're there to save time).

Set your margin guide and start/end of cut stops to 2 3/4" and cut the top mount with a slip mat underneath.

Put the fall-out on the bench and drop the window mount back over it - (face down)

Apply a couple of small dabs of double sided tape to the fall out and the same around the back of the mount, back up the double sided tape around the window mount with PVA - but no tape/PVA near the aperture.

Stick the (slightly smaller) bottom mount, face down, to the top mount.

Adjust your margin guide; start and end of cut stops to 3".

Put the stuck-together mounts back in the cutter - you don't need a slip mat but no problem if you want to leave it there.

Cut. Job done.
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi Robo

Just to help me understand, the bottom mount is the one that the picture sits on and is the last component before the backing board is fitted?

Why is this mount board cut slightly smaller than the top mount with the aperture cut into it?

Nice Avatar - it looks like you stayed on the sunbed too long after you had the teeth whitening treatment.

Regards
Mike Deepjoy
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'm talking about a double mount - two mounts with apertures cut in them, the top mount cut with a narrower margin than the bottom mount, to reveal quarrter of an inch of the bottom mount. Like this - the bottom mount is the green bit, the top mount is the cream bit.
DSCN0862.JPG
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi Robo

I understand, I just must of read your first post wrong. Forgetting the apertures for a second, I thought you were cutting the bottom mount overall less than the 20X16 size and that what my question was aimed at. Sorry!!!
bilhughes
Organisation: simple signman
Interests: signs construction of sign related stuff

Post by bilhughes »

[youtube]fWFPHqe24ms[/youtube]

Is the second part It does look easy to beginers The reason I asked is that I was having problems with my mat-cutter it was not set up right on 2 of the 3 settings and was mashing my brain up sorting it out but at 9 oclock last night after 2 glasses of wine I went down to the workshop and kept at it it seemed a lot clearer after the wine the fact that you do the cut mat face down and with the cuts overcutting the square on the back I know now how easy it is now, but it seemd well wrong the first time, so when this lady did not use stops just going over the line a set amount, I thought that looked good but now with the cutter set up perfect Iv changed my mind.
The main problem was the last stop the blade holder rests against, was one and a half notshes out 3/32nd and there seems to be no adjustment on it so I just allow for it when setting that one up, adding to that the drop down ruler was way out and with working it out upside down it baffled me. But all is well now, although the none adjusting block bugs me so if there is realy no adjustment I will machine the blighter down by 3/32 to get that spot on
We have little sign shop moving in 4 weeks time to a much busier spot and if we can learn a lot more I might concider tackling a few framing jobs not advertising yet but just to my existing sign customers and friends and family we do not want to be labbeled cowboys so will sit it out untill we have enough experience
at the moment it is strickly a hobby.