High quality box frames

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
photoframer

High quality box frames

Post by photoframer »

Hi there framers.
I'm not a professional framer myself, as the username suggests I'm a photographer who frames her own work. I've been looking at some high quality photographic frames as featured in galleries such as 'The Photographers Gallery' and elsewhere in London and am wondering how does one make one.
I get the deep rebate moulding part but how does one separate the glass panel - at the front, from the photograph - at the back. What does one use to keep them apart. Looking into the boxes to try and work it out, all I can see is a white surface on the inside between glass and mount(?). What is it,where can you get whatever it is that is needed and how do you use it.
I know this is quite a long and convoluted question but I'm desparate to make these box frames for my work. I've been framing conventionally for over a year now and with quite basic equipment am getting very good results. I just need pointing in the right direction for this box frame issue.
artist making her own frames looking to find information about techniques.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi photoframer,

Any chance of posting a photo to let us see what you are trying to achieve?

Welcome to the forum
photoframer

Post by photoframer »

Hi John
No, unfortunately despite being a photographer I did not think about photographing the said box frame.
Do you know what I mean when I say that I need to get the glass to the front of the box and the image itself - mounted at the back so you get this window affect when viewing the photograph / art work.
markw

Post by markw »

Take photo into nice man in frame shop and he will do a fairly complicated job at very reasonable price. You make a good profit on the photography - we will try and make a living out of our job - good old fashioned commercial arrangement that leaves you with lots of time to do what your good at - taking pictures.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

One way to hold the glass in place is with glazing points which are short enough so as not to protrude and become visible. They are fired by a point gun manufactured by Fletcher. It also can fire framers points which are longer and normally used to secure the backing. There is also a triangle gun, which fires two sizes of little metal triangles, and used for the same purpose.

A better way to hold the glass in place is with strips of 5mm foamcore cut to fit tightly between the glass and the back.

Have you considered taking a class where you could be taught such framing techniques?
photoframer

Post by photoframer »

Thanks for the info, John.
It is clearly quite a complex task.
Would you be kind enough to point me in the direction of framing classes.
Regarding the nice man in the framers shop - I have a lot of respect for him but I'm not in a position financially to frame all of my work - maybe only one or two images so despite the reasonable price, as an artist who enjoys making things and learning new crafts I am determined to gain an independance through doing my own framing.
I don't think that the response from MarkW is very helpful or friendly.
I'm not trying to steal business but only to get involved in producing completed objects of art which incorporate my photographs as well as my frames.
markw

Post by markw »

Photoframer
If you look at the many posts on this site you will find that I and many others freely give advice to people who are just starting out in the business.

Many of my customers are professional artist / photographers and they generate a good proportion of my turnover. To be quite frank - if your any good as a artist/photographer you wont have time to make your own frames and you would be much better off leaving it to the professionals who should be able to guarantee that your work will be framed to a high enough standard so that it will last for future generations to enjoy. If on the other hand you are a photographer who wants to be a framer then my advice would be to get properly trained before you damage the work you frame by using inappropriate materials and methods.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

photoframer wrote:Thanks for the info, John.
It is clearly quite a complex task.
Would you be kind enough to point me in the direction of framing classes.
Hi
I notice from your profile you are in London. There are framing courses run at Beaconsfield.

http://www.diyframing.com/catalog/
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Hi photoframer,

Welcome to the forum.

So you are a Photographer-Stroke-Framer. As a newcomer you weren't to know, but some of the members here were dropped on their heads when they were children by Photographer-Stroke-Framers.

Now that you are aware, you will know to be careful about bandying the P-S-F word about.

It could have been worse, at least you didn't mention the F-A-T-G. :D
FN
markw

Post by markw »

That would explain the strange bump on my head and my dislike of flashing lights!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Dropped on your head, eh?

Is that not a prerequisite for becoming a picture framer in the first place?