Promotions

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Steven
Organisation: Harrison Lord
Interests: Photography

Promotions

Post by Steven »

After the heavy snow killed trade in the early part of the year I have noticed that orders are still not coming in at the usual rate.
So I'm about to mailshot my database to drum up some trade which I have never done before. I am thinking of offering a discount of 10% with the letter. Has anybody any experience of this type of promotion, does it work?
Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Promotions

Post by Not your average framer »

Discounts never worked for me, but I do special offers on mirrors to try and entice customers into the shop. Results can vary, but sometimes it works.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Do you have a newsletter?

We send out one to our database - which won't be like your database - it's a dedicated newsletter database - they all (a good 2-3000) opted in! It's supposed to go out every other month, but it's about quarterly now - wish we had the time to do it monthly because it really works - now and again we'll offer a discount here and there, but rarely on framing - the last time I tried it was FREE museum glass up to 12x16" - I must have had a lot of offcuts! I think ONE person took it up!
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

We’ve tried all kinds of direct mail, and none of them produced the kind of sales that we were hoping for.

Most of our mailings i.e. post cards and newsletters, offered 15% off. Those were criticized for being too low. It is said that a customer won’t cross the street for anything less than 25%.

But, even at 15%, by the time we totaled the cost of printing, addressing, and postage, and the profits lost because of the discount, we just barely broke even.

To us, direct mail discounting was like tossing money down the toilet and flushing twice.

Likewise, for us newspapers, flyers, and coupon mailers have also been a bust.

The only thing that has paid off for us has been cable television (sales up 18% to 27% depending on the time of year). But, video production costs (a one time expense) and sufficient air time to make an impact is expensive.

John Turner (RoboFramer) reports very good luck with radio ads.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bill Henry wrote:
Likewise, for us newspapers, flyers, and coupon mailers have also been a bust.
We once participated in a FREE scheme run by our district council - EVERY HOUSEHOLD in the county - and that's a shedful (5.8 shitloads) was sent a booklet of discount vouchers - all every participant had to do was provide a photo of their place, or a product - and details of a discount available.

But to get the discount people had to apply for a card, which had to accompany any tear-off voucher from the booklet to qualify.

We were the only one in the booklet offering 50% off - we offered 50% off framing of any of our unframed (99% mounted) prints etc and 10% off anything else.

We got NO TAKERS on the 50% deal - we did get some ten-percenters, but too many of those were regulars who would have made the purchases anyhow. Never again!
Bill Henry wrote:John Turner (RoboFramer) reports very good luck with radio ads.
We're in a hugely populated area - our ads have been going out daily for about 8 years now, and at about 8 grand a year inc VAT we wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work - we're actually considering adding another local station at half the cost. They have half the ratings but in a more condensed/closer area.

I don't think I can add a realplayer link here, but if anyone knows how/is interested I can email our latest ads - they're a bit mad - aliens :shock: