I need training

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
shemilaya

I need training

Post by shemilaya »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I just started framing 5 months ago so I'm a beginner and there's a lot I'd like to learn about framing. Here's the first general question I have: how does one make Japanese rice paper hinges? Are they only used for mounting certain types of paper? If not what other materials can they be used to mount? More questions to come...
Thanks in advance!
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

hinges

Post by JFeig »

this link will show you how to make and use paper hinges. The use of home cooked wheat/rice paste or what they sell does not change the process.

http://www.frametek.com/HTML/Nori/Nori1.html
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi
I can recommend a set of books written by Vivian Kistler an American framer. They are well written and will answer most of your questions for the next couple of years. Each book covers a specific subject, and you can buy them singly or as a set.
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
markw

Post by markw »

Hi Shemilaya - welcome to the forum. Advanced question for a beginner - but start as you mean to go on. Try Lion Picture Framing Supplies for the neccesary materials - Rice Paper hinges are used for hinge mounting on all high quality work. In simple terms you are using a material that is fully reversible should it be neccesary to remove it from the media - it also breaks before it damages the media should it be stressed.

Fine Art Trade Guild have some useful publications for beginners - Its worth going on a good training course and getting your GCF - Guild Commended Framer - if you are framing profesionaly then it pays to have been profesionaly trained.

Good luck.
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

G'day Shemilaya,

Good you found this forum too, even though you are US based Chicago (or is there a Chicago in the UK ?)

Anyway, the info you'll find here can be somewhat different to that of US . . . techniques, terminology, etc, but that's a good thing. Knowing other methods etc will broaden your knowledge base.

Lion PFS is a UK based company, but they may distribute some of their lines in the US. I heard they were at the recent Las Vegas trade show.

Have you found the The (US) Grumble yet ?
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

Whoops, double post !
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
markw

Post by markw »

we've got Washington why not Chicago? - Sorry! late at night didnt notice location.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

The new Conservation GCF Advanced guide is available from Lion and the Fine Art Trade Guild in London. http://www.fineart.co.uk All you need to know about Conserbvation framing, etc..

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre