Page 1 of 1

I need training

Posted: Wed 15 Feb, 2006 8:11 pm
by shemilaya
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I just started framing 5 months ago so I'm a beginner and there's a lot I'd like to learn about framing. Here's the first general question I have: how does one make Japanese rice paper hinges? Are they only used for mounting certain types of paper? If not what other materials can they be used to mount? More questions to come...
Thanks in advance!
**

hinges

Posted: Wed 15 Feb, 2006 8:18 pm
by JFeig
this link will show you how to make and use paper hinges. The use of home cooked wheat/rice paste or what they sell does not change the process.

http://www.frametek.com/HTML/Nori/Nori1.html

Posted: Wed 15 Feb, 2006 8:52 pm
by mick11
Hi
I can recommend a set of books written by Vivian Kistler an American framer. They are well written and will answer most of your questions for the next couple of years. Each book covers a specific subject, and you can buy them singly or as a set.

Posted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 1:20 am
by markw
Hi Shemilaya - welcome to the forum. Advanced question for a beginner - but start as you mean to go on. Try Lion Picture Framing Supplies for the neccesary materials - Rice Paper hinges are used for hinge mounting on all high quality work. In simple terms you are using a material that is fully reversible should it be neccesary to remove it from the media - it also breaks before it damages the media should it be stressed.

Fine Art Trade Guild have some useful publications for beginners - Its worth going on a good training course and getting your GCF - Guild Commended Framer - if you are framing profesionaly then it pays to have been profesionaly trained.

Good luck.

Posted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 8:02 am
by realhotglass
G'day Shemilaya,

Good you found this forum too, even though you are US based Chicago (or is there a Chicago in the UK ?)

Anyway, the info you'll find here can be somewhat different to that of US . . . techniques, terminology, etc, but that's a good thing. Knowing other methods etc will broaden your knowledge base.

Lion PFS is a UK based company, but they may distribute some of their lines in the US. I heard they were at the recent Las Vegas trade show.

Have you found the The (US) Grumble yet ?

Posted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 8:10 am
by realhotglass
Whoops, double post !

Posted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 8:18 am
by markw
we've got Washington why not Chicago? - Sorry! late at night didnt notice location.

Posted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:23 pm
by SquareFrames
Hi,

The new Conservation GCF Advanced guide is available from Lion and the Fine Art Trade Guild in London. http://www.fineart.co.uk All you need to know about Conserbvation framing, etc..

Steven