Page 1 of 1

Wanted Jumbo CMC Mountcutter

Posted: Fri 28 May, 2010 11:02 am
by JamesC
If anybody has a jumbo CMC of reasonable spec. and age, still cutting perfect corners, I would be interested in buying second hand or taking over a lease. Budget £5k or thereabouts.

I think they are overpriced as new for the technology - I don't shy away from controversy! Only justified if you have loads of repeat work or fancy mounts in which case they really pay but someone has still got to feed one sheet in at a time and less reliable than hand powered wall mounted cutters which we have and are really quick anyway.

I actually mainly want it for making custom boxes but may as well kill two birds with one stone and get a bigger mountcutter in the bargain. Being able to put logos and signatures on mounts with it would be neat.

You'd be helping a young couple only been in business 4 years - a good home. We're northerners from yorkshire so can't be lavish in our spending - like the locals.

I'm sure you could do with the latest and greatest model so let your slightly older one go and make room. Or maybe you are thinking of retiring...

Cheers

James

Re: Wanted Jumbo CMC Mountcutter

Posted: Fri 28 May, 2010 2:04 pm
by markw
Haha - Funny post. You seem to be asking for the sort of spec you would get on the newer machines - The probability is that the only machines on the market at that sort of price would be a few years old and probably wouldn't cut thick enough material for boxes - and certainly wouldn't have any sort of pen head attachments.

The CMC market isn't huge - the technology is different from similar sorts of equipment such as plotters - cutting shapes with absolute precision is clever - and takes clever software control - as well as very accurate high spec motors - bed design etc. Your comment, I feel is probably based on ignorance rather than knowledge.

But hey - Good luck with your search

Re: Wanted Jumbo CMC Mountcutter

Posted: Sun 30 May, 2010 8:53 am
by WelshFramer
Yeah, surprised me to learn (when I first calibrated a CMC) is that a straight bevel can't be cut as a straight line. As the cut is started the head has to rotate slightly to counteract the flexing of the blade. Not something to be concerned about with a plotter.