Page 1 of 1

GOING GREEN

Posted: Tue 06 Jul, 2010 8:24 am
by guzzijim
Has any other member tried composting mountboard / backing board?

We compost everything we can, including seaweed off the beach which is directly in front of the house.

I leave the board outside for the rain to soften it first and wash out some of the dye, it also makes it easy to tear.

It’s important when composting to spread the card and vegetable matter in layers, I’ve also started adding Grotto, a supposed accelerator! it was a discounted discontinued line at our local Morrisons.

Re: GOING GREEN

Posted: Tue 06 Jul, 2010 10:42 am
by prospero
All my cardboard goes on the compost heap. Add a few grass clippings and it makes excellent compost. I do have to sieve out the plastic labels and bits of packing tape that get left on, but that's not a serious job. Takes a bit longer than typical garden rubbish. Bit of lime speeds up the process.
Morso chippings go on as well. Even done wooden pallets, but they take a year or two.... :wink:

Re: GOING GREEN

Posted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:08 pm
by Jonny2morsos
guzzijim wrote:Has any other member tried composting mountboard / backing board?

We compost everything we can, including seaweed off the beach which is directly in front of the house.

I leave the board outside for the rain to soften it first and wash out some of the dye, it also makes it easy to tear.
What is rain? Have not seen a drop in these parts for weeks on end. Local farmers have even started harvesting cereal crops. Cannot ever remember harvest being this early.

Re: GOING GREEN

Posted: Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:58 am
by Tim
prospero wrote:Even done wooden pallets, but they take a year or two.... :wink:
I USE wooden pallets and chicken wire as compost bins!