Washington green mounts

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
sallyb

Washington green mounts

Post by sallyb »

Hi everyone,

Just have a quick query about washington green mounts.
I've been asked to frame a Sarah Szikora limited print by a customer, on first seeing the print i felt it looked a little odd, after a closer inspection when the customer had left I saw that the print is mounted using a standard cream core double mount on a back board of greyboard, it is also stuck together so that i am unable to remove the print from the mount.
I have a couple of her prints in my house and therefore know this is not the usual washington green style. Just wondered if anyone else had come across this ? Was it at some time normal for them to mount prints in this way?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I hate publishers' mounts, they cost the earth and I have yet to find a publisher thet uses 'T' hinges.

But this sounds like far worse quality than their usual standards, so it has probably been done by A.N. Other framer.

By 'stuck together' do you mean the mounts to the grey backing or the print is stuck down/dry mounted to it as well?

If the mounts are ATG'd to the back board and the print is hinged to it, or the mounts, separately, you should be able to get the print out with no damage.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,
Heavily stuck down mounts and backing suggest to me that all may not be as it should. If there's nothing wrong with it, then why hid it!
Cheers,
Mark
sallyb

Post by sallyb »

Thanks to you both, i've not had time yet to find out if the print is stuck to the back board as well. I also think it looks a little suspicious ! I'm in a dilema now wondernig if to express my concerns to the customer before framing as I don't want to do the job then in years to come the print deteriorate making it look as though i've done something wrong, if I can get the print out i'll re-mount it properly but if not what should I do?
markw

Post by markw »

You shouldnt alter the customers work without thier permission. The condition of the print and mount is not your responsibility as the customer has purchased that element from another vendor. If you create accurate job descriptions on your customers order it should state clearly that you recieved the print mounted. If you are worried that your work is questined at a later date then just add a note to your sticker on the frame back that the work was mounted by another.

If the work is stuck down in such a way that it may damage the print then I wouldnt want to remove it - I would recomend that the customer return it to the vendor and ask that it be mounted properly. Its the old question of how the goods were described - if it was sold as a limited edition mounted to conservation standards then the customer has a legitimate complaint - mounted limited edition print - the desciption allows the retailer to get away with anything as the quality has not been defined. It could well be said that you should spot problems like this at the quote stage if you are agreeing to frame to conservation standards and that at that stage you should have recomended changing the mount - the cost of remounting and the potential problems with removing the work from the original mount.