New Starter - Hi....

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

New Starter - Hi....

Post by Gus »

Hi, my first post! :wink: (be gentle please!)
I am just starting out in the framing business. I have practised on all of the family photos and pictures at home, progressed onto friends stuff, done a couple of jobs for payment and am now thinking of taking the bolder step of getting jobs from marketing/advertising.

I have looked through (most of) the pages on the forum and gained a wealth of information and ideas, thank you. I also went to the Lion open day, listened to all of the seminars, talked to a lot of people, had a great time and also learnt a lot :D .

My question really is in relation to how and where to market myself. Do I stay local - or do I go for the internet stuff and go into packaging and posting out jobs :?: I have practised on hand finishing and want to concentrate on this side of the industry - not to the skill level of gesso and gilding, just painting, staining, waxing etc. that complements the artwork, giving a unique finished product - would this work on distance work, or is it best to stay local and build up reputation by word of mouth etc?

I have a home workshop (as well as a full time job - at present anyway). I will not be looking at volume framing but would like to build up to a steady throughput of work.

Any advice / information on ideas to progress would be greatly received.

Regards, Gus.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: New Starter - Hi....

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Gus,

Welcome to the FF :D
Glad you find it so helpful

Yes that Lion Open day was brill :clap:

I cant answer you, as there are experts on here with far better knowledge than me!

My gut feeling would be to stay local in the start - but lets see what the wiser ones have to say !
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Hi Gus

Welcome

Both will work, but i wonder if it would be practical to show on a website the myriad of finishes available if you are into hand-finishing, as the work tends to be 'to match the artwork, or to complement the artwork".

Having said that, internet or local? Do Both. But work to your strengths - if you have web building skills use them, if you are better face to face, then work it.

If you have a full-time job, an online business can be open when you are not there, of course

Just a few of my random thoughts. Good Luck.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

IMHO it would be best to start local and get more experience, then if you want to go on the web, give it a go.
It will take some time and effort to find customers either way so it may be best to put all your efforts into one thing at a time.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Welcome and good luck. I was in a similar position to you about a year ago and formally began trading in March this year. My biggest underestimation was the length of time it takes to build up a customer base, there is plenty of advice on here about various marketing methods, you will have to decide what may or may not work for you.

I have taken advantage of some Business Link training, I began with a business start up course (run in house) followed by some sales training and I'm waiting for some more on marketing. As you attended the Lion Open Day I hope you went to Jim's presentation, the mantra Know me, Like me, Trust me, Pay me runs through my head every day and I also have mounts, not double mounts!

Again, good luck and remember it can take time.

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Gus. :)

Good luck with the hand-finishing. Although there are 1000s of mouldings available, it is sometimes very difficult to get just the effect you want in a factory finish. This is especially true when you get to larger sizes and when to get to 4" wide and over, hand-finished stuff is sometimes the only option. On original artwork, hf frames look very good. Target artists. One advantage is that hf frames are more easily repaired than factory ones. Artists who cart their stuff around exhibitions will appreciate this. :wink: Also an artist work with you to develop their own individual style of frame.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Many thanks for your helpful replies.
I did indeed go to Jim's presentation - excellent! Lots of ideas that I will be trying to remember and take forward.

I will keep plugging away at the customer base and get onto the business link training, there is a centre not far from me. I like the idea of having some finishes online and will try to take that forward in the future, but in the meantime will concentrate on the 'locals'.

Thanks for the advice, will let you know if I get anywhere with it.

Gus.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi Gus,

I would build up your local customer base first, but would recommend getting a basic website up asap, just a few pages to begin with is a must have for any business.

Good luck

Richard
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Gus,

Wecome to the forum. Handfinishing is a great speciality. it not only differentiates you from others, but gives you your own niche in the market. Also there's a lot of personal satisfaction to be had from handfinishing. Done right it can be very profitable!

How you choose to market yourself will depend upon a number of different factors mostly related to the type of area you are based in and type of customers in that area. I can't speak about anything other than my own situation and experience, but perhaps it may be relevent.

I am based in a small rural town where word soon gets around. Apart from the local parish magazine, I never needed to advertise at all. Word of mouth works very well in smaller communities, where lots of people know one another.

Unfortunately, word of mouth is not exactly instant in it's effect - It takes time to create your customer base. I rented retail shop premises and with a little sign painting, I soon got noticed.

As you are working from home, you will need to create your own visibility. If your target market is a local one, then think local in getting the word out there. Leaflets, cards in shop windows, an ad in the local parish magazine, your local art clubs, etc. It can be a bit experimental at first, so try things first before committing to anything long term and expensive.

Larger communities and heavily built up areas will probably require other approaches. Hopefully others who can speak from their own experience will be able to add further advice.

At first things may appear to be going nowhere, this was also my own experience, but don't be put off by this. Businesses need time to grow and each business is different. For me the first two years were the difficult ones, but things did come together and I now employ two part time member of staff, (until a month ago there was three).

There are a number of forum members who operate from home. Read through some of the past postings and you will find that these guys have already been through the same start up difficulties and may have some relevent advice for you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Great Place For Free Web Site & Domain

https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... =true&ul=1