Framing Morale required!

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
V-Nail

Framing Morale required!

Post by V-Nail »

Good Morning The Framers Forum Members,

Much needed morale required!!! Doing framing as a hobby I have all the right gear (I think) Morso F, Casse Underpinner and Keencut Ultimate Mount Cutter. (I was going to build a framing Empire... however)

So the problem I have is probably lack of skill or patients as I seem to experience each and every problem on the forum..... Corners open, mounts that have corners that dip just at the end of the striaght edge (Is that to much pressure on the blades as it approaches the end of the cut) Underpinning, feeling that I need to manipulate the joints to look seemless before pinning and then the end corner is higher than the other corner bla bla bla! Especially on bigger mouldings!

Yesterday walking in to the workshop with a spring in my toes after months away from it, I was sadly deflated by my attempts at framing and spent the rest of the evening trolling the forums for infomation on my awful frame making. :head:

Well thanks for reading and I hope not to have zapped your morale - breath!

Have a great day! Im going to attemp another framing day!!!
prospero

Re: Framing Moral required!

Post by prospero »

Hi V-Nail. :)

You have got all the right kit, so that a plus. But although good equipment takes a lot of the pain out of doing a good job, like everything else it does take a bit of practice to produce consistently good results.

The mount problem you describe sounds like a 'hook'. Very common problem. It's usually occurs at the start of a cut. If you tend to twist the cutting block slightly as you dip the blade, it will start in the wrong track and as you pull it toward you it will straighten out, leaving the curve at the end. Try adjusting your grip. 99% of the time that will be the source of the problem.

Moulding should all be perfectly straight. Unfortunately, many aren't and when joined will produce a twisted frame. Sometimes you can get away with a slight twist, especially if the moulding is thin. Big mouldings are less forgiving. As you cut the lengths, press down at each end on the Morso bed and see if you can feel any rocking. If one end isn't flat to the bed when the other is, then you have a twisty bit. No good trying to use it, it will just spoil the other three (possibly straight) lengths. You will be very lucky not to get twisted sections here and there. A few you expect; just chuck them or use them for samples. If you get a lot in a batch, ask for a credit note from the supplier. They usually don't quibble.

Hope that helps a bit.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Framing Morale required!

Post by YPF »

Hi V-Nail,

As Prospero said you have good equipment but I might suggest that you get your self on some training. Hobby or not, you could be wasting a lot of money, some time with a trainer/experienced framer will provide real benefit.

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
V-Nail

Post by V-Nail »

"All the gear and no Idea"

Thanks for this advice guys I will be sure to try it. Thats a top tip on the mount cutter thanks.

Training yes, defo agree - I need to bite the bullet and get on some workshops.

Magic thank you,

Drew
mitretight
Organisation: ....
Interests: Squash, Tennis, Cooking, Drinking.

Post by mitretight »

Hi V-nail

Just a small addition to prospero's advice on "hooking", check the depth of your cutting blade.

If is too deep it can flex as you enter the mount card before straightening out causing the problem.

The should penetrate the slipmat by about 0.5mm

Hope this helps

MT
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

There have been several posts on the forum listing people who provide training, Roboframer being one of them.
Good techniques in relation to the use of equipment is very difficult to learn from books or forums.

Spend some money and get thee to a trainer! :)
Custard
Organisation: Private
Interests: Photography

Post by Custard »

Just a small addition to prospero's advice on "hooking", check the depth of your cutting blade.

If is too deep it can flex as you enter the mount card before straightening out causing the problem.

The should penetrate the slipmat by about 0.5mm
That's what sorted out hooking for me. Plus two other points,

1. The slip mat needs to be in reasonable condition, once it gets too chewed up it can drag the blade sideways.

2. The mount cutter needs to be on a flat base and properly supported, if it's twisted (try rocking it one corner at a time) then hooking is almost guaranteed.
Howard
Organisation: Creative Frames
Interests: Drag racing, music, gardening.

Post by Howard »

After each cut try moving the slip mat to the left or right just a fraction so the blade dosn't follow the previous cut.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Hi V-Nail

Sad to hear you are having problems. We all do- even when experienced. Cant really comment on the mount cutteras we are computerised and dont even own a manual one, but on your morso it is a good idea to check blade alignment. The two blades should make a perfect Vee and be equal at the bottom and not the top. Also you should not be able to see any gap at the front. A slight mis-alignment here can caiuse mayhem with your joins. If in doubt about the state of the blades, send them to Lion who charge around £25 to sharpen them. Worth every penny

Best of luck and stick at it!!

Steve
markw

Post by markw »

Practice makes perfect - or nearly as perfect as you can get. We all get niggling problems from time to time - it can be the materials at fault - the machinery slightly off calibration or even just a bad day. The experienced can normally identify the problem - Inexperience might well leave you confused - especially when you get a number of problems all conspiring to make your attempt to execute the perfect job into a complete disaster.

Training is the best shortcut to gaining experience, after that its just years of hands on gaining experience from all the problems that you successfully solve - or not.

Getting machinery to function at their best is often the key to success - you need to be confident that the Morso cuts accurately - The mountcutter is calibrated etc. Making sure you have these elements under control before you start a job gives you a better chance of seeing problems in the other elements
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Hi,
I'm in Glasgow too, and would be happy to give you some training if you like........I have trained numerous people over the years, and am happy to come to yours to help troubleshoot your machinery etc .
I've been a full time framer for the last 15 years, GCF for the last 10, with the 6 previous years spent in a picture framing wholesalers......

You can PM me if you want my number .

Not the best first post i know, as i didn't join here looking to get work, but i didn't see an introduction thread?