Charnwood Guillotine

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
georgeh

Charnwood Guillotine

Post by georgeh »

hi everyone

I am using a charnwood guillotine and minigraf3 underpinner, i have just changed the blades on the charnwood and I am finding it a nightmare to align the blades I dont know how it's done on the Morso but it can't be that different the blades are attached to the block by 3 bolts , the manual simply states that the blades must align perfectly without any overlap, is there any method of going about this or is it a case of trial and error.

georgeh.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't know your machine, but on the Morso I fix all 6 bolts, loosely, then, whilst holding the blades so they meet perfectly, tighten the top one each side, by hand, adjusting the blades as I do so as/if required.

Then I carry on with a socket, a twist each side, once happy, I tighten the other two.
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Thanks for that John, do you use a wrench it seems that a lot of torque is required to get the blades to join, they provided a socket wit a short t-handle and i can't get enough torque, it's difficult to get the back up here in Malaysia the suppliers are ok but the problem is getting them to understand the problem, the manual actually says to tighten 1 blade first but your method makes more sense i also tried levering from the back of the blade with a screwdriver but the problem is one blade always seems to recess on the final few turns causing the other to overlap.

Thanks

George Hannah
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi George,

The short handle on the wrench may be deliberate so as to avoid over-tightening.

Be careful if you are using a spanner with better leverage, you could strip the thread, or even shear the head of the bolt.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'd add too that if you do use a wrench - i.e. from a socket set, fit the extension to keep as far away from those blades as possible!

The morso bolts do not need much tightening at all though, just as far as they will go easily and then just a tad more.
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Thanks for the advice guys the job is now done following Roboframers instructions.
Just shows you the Manual really threw me it said to fix one blade at a time also the bolts on the origional blades were mega tight which led me to believe they had to be to close the gap between the blades.
Take your point about safety near the blades, the spare set i got had a plastic cover for the blades in the packaging like those plastic spines you get to bind documents so i slipped those over the blades during the work.

My next challenge is to find someone to sharpen the origionals.

It's about time Lion opened a branch here.

Thanks

George Hannah
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

George

Where are you located!!!!.......I may be able to suggest someone to sharpen your blades

Regards

Dermot
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Hi George

I see you are in Malaysia………I nearly went to live there the year before last….long story for another day……

The best bet to get your blades well sharpened is to find out who is sharpening the blades for the local printing house/company……………not the high street printer………the big printing house………they need to get the blades for the paper guillotine sharpened……….call up the local printer and ask the purchasing manager who sharpens their blades

In most big cities around the world there will be an engineering company who sharpens blades for all sorts of industries, meat, fish, printing, dress making, picture framing, wood and metal saw blades………..dig around and you will find them….

The best of luck…..

Dermot

PS
For those of you in the Dublin area or close to that try…..

ACE Saw Service
Unit 3 Belmont Avenue
Dublin 14

Tel: 01 2989115

You should see the workshop these guys have for sharpening blades…………one of the machines cost €500,000…………and this one only sharpens flat blades like morso blades or blades for the printing industry…….the last time I got a set of morso blades sharpened I think it cost me €13.50 plus VAT
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Hi Dermot

I'm in Sibu Sarawak, been living here since last December, thanks for the tip, I'll try contacting the printers, it will probably have to be in Kuching but i don't mind sending the blades there if it's going to be done by a professsional.

It's funny the main industry here is timber and there are sawmills everywhere so i expected there to be a few saw doctors and professional sharpening companies here but not so. I think they have their own machines for sharpening the saw blades but i'm reluctant to let them try sharpening the guillotine blades.

Thanks

George Hannah