A Big One for Christmas

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
prospero

A Big One for Christmas

Post by prospero »

Just finished framing this pastel drawing.
xmasbigun001.jpg
xmasbigun001.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
It's done on a full sheet of mountboard. 47"x32".
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Re: A Big One for Christmas

Post by prospero »

The customer originally wanted a mount, which given the size would have been problematic for me. Also, I would have to get an oversize piece of glass. As it was on a fairly rigid substrate, I did it another way which would give the same sort of look.....

Started by making a narrow liner that would hold the piece and act as a spacer. This is painted off-white.
xmasbigun002.jpg
xmasbigun002.jpg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 9708 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

To give the 'mount' effect, I made a 3" panel with Rose&Hollis A14 Obeche.
xmasbigun003.jpg
xmasbigun003.jpg (106.78 KiB) Viewed 9704 times
Biscuits in the corners. (btw. How about a Most Manky Underpinner competition?) :oops:
xmasbigun004.jpg
xmasbigun004.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 9704 times
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

prospero wrote:
Biscuits in the corners. (btw. How about a Most Manky Underpinner competition?) :oops:
Thats why I avoid using glue for commercial jobs. Glue and an underpinner block is a very bad combination one which has cost me a lot of money over the years.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I pinned only the back of the panel, to avoid the biscuit slot. Pinning though biscuits isn't very satisfactory, so I added 'L' plates on the inside.
xmasbigun005.jpg
xmasbigun005.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

The outer frame. This is built up from three mouldings. The scoop (R&H A138) will go in the middle and the narrow moulding (Wessex can'trememberthenumber) perches on the inside.
xmasbigun006.jpg
xmasbigun006.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 9699 times
btw. The scoop doesn't cut well on a Morso as you get breaking on the undercut. But I don't care because ther is another bit that covers the edge. Note also how you can tell if you have a slight chip in your blades. :?

The undercut does come in useful if you have to use a strap clamp though..... :)

xmasbigun007.jpg
xmasbigun007.jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 9699 times
The scoop forms the main strength of the frame so it is also biscuited and has two 'L' plates on each corner.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Using a biscuit jointer is a great idea for making a secure frame especially when you are using a fluted moulding as pressure is put on the joints whilst putting in the glass etc. It is possible to underpin through the biscuits but it will be dependent on how much welly you can apply to the peddle. No so much of a problem with pneumatic under pinners, perhaps hardwood wedges would do the job?

Cheers

AG
prospero

Post by prospero »

The inner moulding is fixed to the scoop using a flat piece of timber to form a bridge. (which you can't see)
xmasbigun008.jpg
xmasbigun008.jpg (79.39 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

The outermost part of the frame is R&H PP108 Obeche.
xmasbigun009.jpg
xmasbigun009.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
This moulding has a generous rebate, but not generous enough for this frame, so It's extended with a piece of square timber to add 30mm.
xmasbigun010.jpg
xmasbigun010.jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

The basic carcass assembled. Used a cartridge and a bit of No-More-Nails.
xmasbigun011.jpg
xmasbigun011.jpg (69.99 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
The whole thing given a good going-over with Fine Surface Pollyfilla to blend the joins and fill the grain.
Lots of sanding to do when it was thoroughly dry. The hardest part is smoothing the join on the outside where
I extended the back. Planing it with a piece of glass is the best way I have found.
xmasbigun012.jpg
xmasbigun012.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

That looks very good prospero. I have always struggled when doing that type of frame to fill the joints and the grain sufficiently. Waiting for the next installment.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Once sanded and any niggly bits made good, it's time to prime with the good old Ripple Paint. Couple of coats is enough, smoothed down in between. Btw. it doesn't have to be pink. that's just some powder pigment I mixed in the take the whiteness off. The frame is too big for the bench so a bit of impro is called for. Standing in the middle to work on it.
xmasbigun013.jpg
xmasbigun013.jpg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 9687 times
When the ripple paint is dry, you can see any little defects that are not apparent in is raw wood state.
So after these are fixed and a good sanding I can do the more interesting bit. Basecoat of Black acrylic.
When dry I masked off the centre and applied the gilding. This is Liberon 'Seaux', which is a nice soft pewter
colour. I am halfway through the last tin and can't get any more. :( If anyone has any chucking about that they don't want.....
xmasbigun014.jpg
xmasbigun014.jpg (104.36 KiB) Viewed 9687 times
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Now that is what I would like to learn how to do. That looks fantastic. :clap: :clap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Back to the drawing.

Quite tricky trying to persuade it into the inner liner. On it's own the liner is very flimsy and it's an extremely fecky job trying to pin it in face down without smudging the (unfixed) pastel. The edges try their best to spring out in the middle.

It's backed with a sheet of Colourmount m/b. Behind that, a membrane of Polyester film and backed with 2.5mm MDF. (So shoot me...:P ). From a conservation point of veiw - well it's backed with exactly the same board as it's drawn on. The rebate is lined with P-90. Ally tape would have been better, but I gave up trying to get it into the rebate.

Once it's in, the glass is cleaned and placed on top. Taped round with P-90 to hold it in place and stop the liner from flexing. As luck would have it, the drawing + liner is exactly the length of a sheet of glass. It's std float. Nicer with Museum glass...... 8)
xmasbigun016.jpg
xmasbigun016.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 9682 times
The panel has been filled and sanded and painted off white. Once dry, I gave it a wash over with diluted Raw Umber to tone it down a tad.
Quick buff-up with a yellow duster and its ready to fix the liner/drawing/glass sandwich in. I did this with those little flexipoints with the holes in that you can screw though.
xmasbigun017.jpg
xmasbigun017.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 9682 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

The black section of the outer frame is given a good waxing. Once this is dry, finished off with a wash of diluted white ripple paint with a dab of black in it. You have to work quickly at this stage and drag it with a dry brush as it dries to get that even-but-random streaky effect. Finally I added a lot of delicate transverse scratches on the gilt which seems to give a pleasing effect on silvers. I buffed up the silver parts with a yellow duster that was saturated with wax. If you use it straight out the tin, the solvent will take off the gilt. Using a waxy duster, the heat generated by the polishing action softens the wax in the duster and applies just enough to burnish it up on the high points.
xmasbigun018.jpg
xmasbigun018.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 9680 times
The finished article. It set off for Shropshire a couple of hours ago in a horse-box.
xmasbigun019.jpg
xmasbigun019.jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 9680 times

I'm going for a cup of tea now. :coffee:

Merry Christmas One and All. :D
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Prospero that was a truly amazing piece of work. I would take my hat off to you (but its too cold : )lol: :lol:. I love that finish. I have an artist's work which I frame up about 100 pieces a year which would look fantastic in that sort of finish. Were can I learn how to do that?

Cheers

Alistair
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well I learned mostly by experimentation, with a few notions picked up here and there. It's not exactly Rocket Surgery, most of it is sandpapering.
The main thing is to know what you are aiming for. Sometimes you discover things that you didn't intend when you are trying to achieve something else.

For artists, hand-finished stuff is great. They can have their own 'corporate identity' in a frame design. (And pay accordingly) One plus is that an artist isn't going to take a frame home and hang it on the wall nice and safe. They drag then round exhibitions - in and out of cars, etc and they can pick up little dings here and there. Even quite major damage. HF frames can always be restored quite easily as opposed to factory finishes, which can be a pain to retouch.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Excellent, love this step-by-step stuff.

I'd love to get in to hand finishing like this but I'd need a separate space, we do have a large porch at the back of the workshop and I've often thought about enclosing it to do stuff like this in, or even the limited hand finishing that we already do, which needs space clearing for - and just liming a length of moulding gets Mrs R moaning about the smell in the shop.
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Lovely job & well done mate. The step by step photos will have inspired a lot of the newer framers on here - which I think the forum is not "all about" - but "a lot about" :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW- I love "biscuits" - I think it stems back to watching too many episodes of "New Yankee Workshop" on Sky...

Merry Xmas & thanks for a great tutorial :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

it does look great

but you need to see some of peters frames in the flesh to understand how good they actually are

steve, bet you have a flanel checked shirt too :mrgreen: