Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cliff
Organisation: home based
Interests: golf, Italy, France, walking, antique prints, framing

cost of servicing a compressor

Post by cliff »

Hello all, I'm new to the forum ,having only just discovered it, although have been framing now for over 25 years. I splashed out and purchased a Jun Air compressor about 18 months ago and thought it was about time I dug deep into my pocket and paid for a service. I'm not sure whether the price I have been quoted (£130) is reasonable or I'm being ripped off. It would be good to hear from anyone as to what is the going rate. Many thanks.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Re: cost of servicing a compressor

Post by Bagpuss »

cliff wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the forum ,having only just discovered it, although have been framing now for over 25 years. I splashed out and purchased a Jun Air compressor about 18 months ago and thought it was about time I dug deep into my pocket and paid for a service. I'm not sure whether the price I have been quoted (£130) is reasonable or I'm being ripped off. It would be good to hear from anyone as to what is the going rate. Many thanks.
If you have an engineer coming on site then how much you pay will depend on how far away the engineer is coming from unfortunately, the chap I use is excellent but luckily only lives 15 minutes up the road from me,
PM me if you need his details, I'm close to J29 on the M25. :wink:
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Cliff,
Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert, and hopefully someone will come along who knows about these things, but that's probably the going rate.

Bagpuss,
I've already read Cliff's post, why remind me of what he just said? What's the point?
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I recently had my compressor (a hydrovane) serviced, it cost £150 ex VAT. Before that I was paying £200 ex VAT although the engineer was based a long way away.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

If you have a hydrovane then that is very good framemaker. I use compressorman and I think I pay about £225.00 +VAT for three phase 501. Price does depend on size of machine though. I used to have a twin pot bambi and I was quoted £200.00 just to get the engineer out and 60p a mile from stoke to manchester (even though it was a manchester company :!: :!: ) then parts and a hourly rate. I would have been cheaper to ring up Simons and get a new one on an overnight.

Having your compressor serviced is a good idea especially if you rely on it for powering machines like under pinners as you are up the proverbial without a paddle if it breaks and you are then at the whim of an engineer who may charge more because he knows you are desperate (as I found out). Basic maintanence like checking oil levels once a week and draining down the tank on a friday night are always good practice.

:D :D
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

JohnMcafee wrote:Bagpuss,
I've already read Cliff's post, why remind me of what he just said? What's the point?
Apologies for my mistake John
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
cliff
Organisation: home based
Interests: golf, Italy, France, walking, antique prints, framing

Post by cliff »

Thanks to all for your replies. I actually delivered the compressor to the engineer, so I thought that perhaps £130 was a bit on the high side. It just shows how important it is to get your prices right to cover hidden costs such as this!!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Ahhhhhhhhh why did I tempt fate and add to this post...

My Hydrovane is tripping the 3 phase supply every time I turn it on. Engineer coming on monday :head: :head:

No air no saw no under pinner no mount cutter.

Oh well I do have to do my stock take.

:head: :head:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

My compressor is now a headless chicken, no motor and no compressor, just a tank. I will hopefully have it back tomorrow with a new motor and fully serviced. Now that is service. And the damage? probably £500-600. Ah well :lol: :lol: No point in crying over it I need a compressor to make frames so no compressor no framing.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

I've had my current 11 cu ft. compressor since 1991 and it's never been serviced. I empty the water out of the tank about every four years or so and start it up again. No problems so far. If it spits the dummy, I'll just have to fork out another $600 on a new one. It's hidden away under a bench with stuff in the way, so it's a pain in the neck to get it out to empty the tank.

$600 in 19 years, that's around 61 cents a week. Not bad really!
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Hmmmm I was thinking of upgrading my compressor and selling the old one on ebay. Perhaps I might just keep it as a spare. I hate to think what the cost of a loss of a days framing would be - probably more than the servicing costs.

Steve
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Unfortunately the old bambi is not big enough to power my saw but it will run the cmc and the under pinner so if the new motor doesn't come back tommorow I think I will have to get the bambi out again.