Page 1 of 1
sending framed work to America.
Posted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm
by markw
I have to send two large framed pastels to America. My experience of sending framed work abroad has been fairly poor - Has anyone some good advice - reliable carriers etc.
Posted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:02 pm
by realhotglass
Mark,
My experience is to not skimp on courier costs.
Go for a good, fast company such as FedEx, DHL, etc.
They are darn expensive, but usually they are quite reliable.
INSURE it anyway.
They will keep packages 'this way up', and generally only 2 - 3 days for delivery make it less of a risk.
I have used DHL very successfully to the US and UK.
Can you ship these unglazed, or have you used acrylic glazing ?
Don't cut corners on packing either . . . now that's a whole other part of shipping, and just as (if not more) important than the courier / method of transporting.
Posted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:20 pm
by JFeig
You did not give any size to your art. The larger the more problems that there might be with soft side packages (corrugated board).
If it has to be received in one piece, I would suggest a wood crate with 2" of padding on all 6 sides. I currently use rigid foam insulation(polystyrene) as padding, after wrapping the art in plastic with padded corners. 2" polystryent sheets (48 x 96) are about $15. Thinner sheets are comparabilly priced. For sheeting I use 3/8" - 3/4" plywood - depending on the size of the crate.
Ex a 20 x 30 might be done with 3/8' (9mm) while a 48 x 96 crate with 3/4"(18mm).
The last crate I made was 72" x 115" for a shipment to California. I weighted about 350 pounds including the art.
Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:08 pm
by less
Mark,
you use Ashworth and Thompson. If the two boxes I received recently are anything to go by you should get them to pack it for you!
Regards
Les Sutherland
Boniface Arts & Frame Studio
aka less
Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2006 8:51 am
by markw
Thanks for your replies.
I shall send them in a large box with plenty of padding - but I am going to replace the glass with acrylic.
I have sent pictures out to the USA for years - but tightened security seemed to bring with it the increased chance that your package would be opened and not repackaged with much care - I shall make sure the parcels can be inspected easily.