Printing old maps

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Printing old maps

Post by johnwphotography »

Could anyone suggest a cream olde worlde paper suitable to print maps onto. I would like suggestions for use on a 24" roll pigment printer. Olmec used to do a matte paper with a suitable cream base but it does not appear currently to be listed.
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Re: Printing old maps

Post by Steve Goodall »

why not tone the file & print that way???
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
prospero

Re: Printing old maps

Post by prospero »

Daler do a mountboard with an Ingres paper facing, colour Sand. The paper should be available on it's own. Might even be able to get rolls. It's a nice mellow ivory colour and it has the feint 'laid' lines in it. Don't know how it would work in a printer, but it's a drawing paper.....

You could try these people: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1223/47607.php
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Re: Printing old maps, a breakthrough

Post by johnwphotography »

Thanks guys, but those ideas involve cash which I was hoping to avoid as the framed maps are being given to the National Forest Youth Hostel next year I am nearing a solution involving an old, little known photographic technique, Earl Grey or black coffee, both favourites indeed of Lord Steven himself. I used this technique myself 25 years ago when optical whiteners took over on photographic paper bases, and was reminded of it tonight in an encounter with an old photographer in Burton, who showed me some recent prints. It only works with non coated papers, and I have just completed successful tests with some scrap Hahnemuhle German Etching, a perfect stained effect . So tomorrow its time to order some cheap cad paper and nip down to Wilkos for a 24 inch wide plant trough and start serious tea and coffee drinking to save the dregs to stain the map prints. I might just look out those industrial teabags that have been around a long time. I really didn't think you could do this with digital prints. The scanned 1901 second edition OS 25 inch maps have long been out of copyright and are widely used as a base for low budget produced walking maps. The historical detail is fantastic, as indeed is the cartography and story behind them. I will contact the historian responsible for the scans and publishing them to come to an arrangement should income appear as a result. I will post further on the outcome, as several counties have already been done. They look fantastic and the regional National Trust archaeologist was most impressed.