Framing a sword

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Smiffy
Organisation: Frame
Interests: Wood, glass & v-nails

Framing a sword

Post by Smiffy »

Hi,

Been asked to stick a military sword in a frame. Nonprobs withnthe frame itself, but I'm just trying to figure out how to attach it...

Any ideas?
Roboframer

Re: Framing a sword

Post by Roboframer »

This might work if it's wide enough http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/MIGHTY ... 325,0.aspx but I'd use a melinex strap about 12mm wide around the handle and three formed rods for the blade, one at the top and two at the bottom.

If you've not used formed rods before it's hard to describe but it's dead easy when you know how and they'd be less conspicous than the mighty mount in the link.

(Edit) - I found a link for formed rods - scroll down to 'bent metals' here http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/p ... TMOUNT.pdf
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

I recently did a set of three katanas ( Samurai swords) for a guy and did just the opposite to John - I used brass wire in two places around the handles (in the grooves in the handles) and melinex straps around the blades in two spots each- admittedly the blades of the swords were not honed to their normal sharpness
Alan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

But they still had a fine edge :Slap:
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

you're pretty sharp John.. :clap:
Alan
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Thanks gents!

I can understand how the clamp or Formed rods work, but the melinex straps...

They sound like a treat.. However, i can't understand how the blade, or even the sword for that matter would be held in position without some kind of solid structured support.

Alan, would you happen to have any photos of the ones you did?

Thanks again!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Here's a violin and bow I framed - it's secured at two points, one being a melinex strap and the bow is secured with three. http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 12&p=54609
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Melinex straps... Had a look about, but can't find any uk suppliers. Where's best? Can you get it on a roll..?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You make your own straps cut from a roll. Well it doesn't have to be from a roll but that's the most economical way of buying it if you use it frequently.

Here's one source - but search for 'polyester' on that site to see the other ways it comes.

There's plenty of other things you could use though - like coated stainless stell wire, which can be painted to match if required.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I've used cable ties before to secure swords/daggers to a backing.