Making Measuring Arm

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Aflipya
Organisation: Self employed
Interests: Painting, framing, cycling

Making Measuring Arm

Post by Aflipya »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but it looks like a great resource. I have just bought a second hand Morso Guillotine for a great price, although this was due to a missing measuring arm. I see these can be bought for at least £200.

This is possibly a bit of a silly question but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make one using the various components? As long as it is put together accurately, do you think its something that could be made from wood rather than steel rather than buy the complete system from Morso?

Thanks
prospero

Re: Making Measuring Arm

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Aflipya :D

There was a thread about this a few weeks back....

No reason why you can't knock up a perfectly serviceable measuring scale. Piece of nice straight timber bolted though the existing fixing holes. Get a couple of I metre wooden straightedges (Lion do them - 11quid each) and screw them down.
The tricky part would be to make sliding stop, but shouldn't be too difficult with a bit of ingenuity.
Proper Morso scales have a system that accounts for the width of the moulding and adds on x2 so you get the rebate length correct. This might complicate things. But if you just made a basic stop and calibrate it so it cuts dead to the outside of the moulding rails, it not a great inconvenience to just measure the back on the moulding - times 2 - add to the rebate length you want.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Aflipya
Organisation: Self employed
Interests: Painting, framing, cycling

Re: Making Measuring Arm

Post by Aflipya »

Thanks Prospero, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. It sounds like its worth a try, I'll look into getting the components from Lion.

I did have a look for any similar threads but couldn't see any - I'll look a bit harder :)