Massive Mouldings

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't

Re: Massive Mouldings

Postby vintage frames » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:37 pm

That's a really good investment. You can do so much more with a table saw. As long as you keep the blade sharp and don't overload the motor, then that saw should last a good few years. As I said, if the blade is sharp, then you don't really need the higher toothed blade yet where the benefit only shows when trying to push through a higher volume of timber.
vintage frames

Organisation: gilded frames
Interests: Making picture frames

Loft

Postby cleaver » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Great tip on the saw, Mark.

I got a sliding mitre saw very cheap recently - for building, really. But I might look into the 36 tpi as an option if I ever need to cut any big mouldings.

Hope the shop re-opening went well, mate....and that it didn't take too much out of you.
We're all cofficionados now.
cleaver

Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Postby Not your average framer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks for asking. Well it didn't go quite as well as I hoped. I tried to cut some glass, but did not realise just how difficult it would be after my stroke. I just don't have much feel to get the pressure and the action right. The first piece of glass ended up in the bin and the second piece was a bit rough and needed the cut cleaning up on the bench top mounted belt sander to look presentable.

Frankly I was not expecting cutting glass to be much of a problem, but it was unfortunately. I've got a System 4000 wall mounted cutter and I'm wondering if a new glass cutting wheel might make up a little for not very consistent pressure and action. If I can find enough scrap glass to practice cutting maybe I'll get better.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Postby cleaver » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:09 am

You'll get there with it, Mark.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to re-learn stuff we all take for granted.

Everyone on here is rooting for you....and admires you for your guts and stoicism.

Keep at it, fella - but please take it steady and listen to your body.

:clap:
We're all cofficionados now.
cleaver

Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Previous

Return to The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

• Advertisement

Picture Framer's Trade Directory
Picture Framer's Oracle

Members Map Header
Members Map