Minuet madness!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Minuet madness!

Post by David McCormack »

I've been cutting Arqadia Minuet 8627 conservation board all day and keep tying to remember to mark the board with my lovely 3H pencil after I cut away Ardadia’s printed info so as to be able to identify the front/back of the board as the face paper is identical to the back but I keep forgetting but does it matter and are the face and backing papers the same on this board? :Slap: Sorry no commas! :giggle:
Going home to watch some fireworks :party:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: Minuet madness!

Post by Keith Hewitt »

If as you say the face and backing papers are identical - then does it matter which way up you use it?
I'm sure Pauline H. ( Arqadia ) will post something if it does matter
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The tech spec is the same for surface and backing papers, http://www.arqadia.co.uk/commerceportal ... gory=20100 But is it absolutely identical back and front both in colour and finish?

I have this problem with one of Nielsen's colours, but when you place an offcut against the back of a full sheet (or another offcut with the refernce No still on it) there is ever such a slight difference in tone, plus the back is not as perfect as the front, it's sort of 'dimpled'
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Post by huntvambo »

I use Minuet a lot, it's my standard top mount.

I also had this issue and now I always, except when I forget, pencil the back before starting to cut.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If the spec for both paper is the same than the only issue will probably be if there is any diffence in the surface finish, or texture from one surface to the other. If you examine both surfaces at an acute angle you should be able to see if there are any differences.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

David McCormack wrote:the face paper is identical to the back
Mmmm....That's an interesting point and something worth remembering for future applications!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Looking more closely at the windows I cut over the weekend I can see there is a very subtle difference in the colour between the face and backing paper, but you have to be wide awake to spot it. The texture appears to be the same on both sides. I will just have to remember to mark the back in pencil before I cut it.

The artist I’m cutting them for does pencil drawings on paper that perfectly match Arqadia’s Solidcore 401 which I use a lot for him, but then he changed his paper and the match wasn’t so perfect. The Minuet was a better match but it drives me mad using it. It was my suggestion to change the board! :Slap:

Bring back solidcore sanity! :giggle:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/