Framing medals

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
photech54
Organisation: PhotoArt GB Ltd
Interests: Photography, Contemporary Art, Cycling, Entomology,

Framing medals

Post by photech54 »

We've been asked if we could frame some medals, something that we've never done before.

I've looked for some hardware to help with hanging the medals but so far have found nothing!

Has anyone got any advice on how to hang the medals within the frame? Are there any pieces of hardware that can help with that? The medals all have ribbons if that's any help!!

Cheers!
Roboframer

Re: Framing medals

Post by Roboframer »

Pas the ribbons through a slit in the mounting board and then fasten the medals at the point where they swivel with either thread or a clear film strap.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have always found a needle and thread to be the best bit of hardware needed to frame medals.
newie31
Organisation: Frames
Interests: Caricature

Post by newie31 »

Like previously mentioned, I pass the ribbon through a slit in the mountboard.

Instead of thread to secure the medal, I use a small length of copper wire. If you cut a piece of 3 core electrical flex about 6" long, cut the outer plastic off and remove the live, neutral and earth wires, then strip the plastic off those you'll find 20 or so strands of very thin copper wire. Punch a small hole either side of the swivel point of the medal, pass the ends through the mountboard and twist them together at the back and the medals secure and the wire is almost invisible.

Make sure the medals are secure, because in my experience, the first thing people usually do (especially Policemen) is shake the hell out of the frame :head:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I like clear film straps best because they cause no bulk behind the mounting board, they are flat, transparent, won't tarnish/discolour/corrode/rot/stretch, can be cut to any width you like, are easy to fasten as tight as you like (no knots or twists) and when they have to go over something thin, like the swivel points (on circular medals or the rings on stars, and/or the points if required) a strap can be passed through one concealed hole and stuck to the left and right of it (or above and below it) on the back of the mounting board.

If that's not secure enough for any reason you can cut the shape of the medal out of the clear film with 'legs' (a 'spider') and pass the legs through slits in the mounting board just under the medal.

Extremely versatile stuff.
photech54
Organisation: PhotoArt GB Ltd
Interests: Photography, Contemporary Art, Cycling, Entomology,

Post by photech54 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Must admit I was thinking of the slits in the mountboard myself, but the ideas for fixing the medals in place are really helpful!

Thanks!