Page 1 of 1
Morso Cut Question
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 6:12 pm
by dottad
Hi,
I got my new Morso last week, but have a question. There is a mark down one side of moulding when I make the cut, is this normal? It doesn't seem to be affecting join, but a bit concerned. Although I haven't been cutting that much, it has been doing it since I got it. Bearing in mind, its a brand new morso and blades and I wouldn't have expected any mark at all, the other side of the cut moulding is fine, its just the one side.
Thanks for your help.
Dot
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 6:18 pm
by norymags
Dot, Sometimes when you buy brand new blades , they have a tendency to be, well not as sharp as they are when they come back from the sharpening workshop.
Give tham a couple of weeks to "bed in" and if no better then have them sharpened.
A brand new morso eh? ...If only..if only...I`m lucky to buy new blades..Norrie
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 7:09 pm
by Merlin
Hi Dot
It sounds from your explanation that you have a 'nick' in the blade that is causing the mark to be made.
If you rub your finger very lightly over the mitre on the moulding, NOT THE BLADES, you may feel a slight raise where the mark is showing.
I had the same problem with brand new MORSO blades, they had to be reground.
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 7:09 pm
by foxyframer
Dot
Sounds like you have a tiny knick on the cutting edge of one blade. Shouldn't have of course, being new blades. Vital to have them 'hollow ground only' when the time comes, by a firm who are geared up to do them correctly. Never attempt to run a sharpening stone over them, it's not worth it.
Meanwhile try the other pair.
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 7:19 pm
by Merlin
SNAP!
morso question
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 9:39 pm
by dottad
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your help.
Yes the moulding is slightly raised! Great! Problem is I only have one set of blades, so I guess this could be a short term problem, especially as I have one particular job to do for a commission which I was hoping to get completed this week! huh!
I will phone up the local rep tomorrow and have a bit of a moan. I have only used the guillotine a few times at present as practice and it was cutting the same moulding that the rep brought with him. All the cut pieces have this mark on them, including the pieces he cut when showing me how it all worked.
Thank you for your help.
Posted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 10:00 pm
by John
Dot you need to get yourself a spare set of blades so that there is no down time while one set is being sharpened. You really should have been advised to do this when buying the Morso.
You should find that your frames will join OK even with this line. I have used blades in this condition for a week or so.
Posted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 8:53 am
by WelshFramer
Mine were like that from new. They still are but the effect has diminished over the six months or so I've been using them. Doesn't seem to affect the mitres at all though.
About time I got a new pair and sent these off for sharpening.