Page 1 of 1

To trim or not to trim?

Posted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 5:47 pm
by Underpinner
I have always obeyed the rule that "artwork", whether original, print, photo or whatever, should never be trimmed (or folded for that metter) - not even an excessively large white border - without the customer's written permission. Something to do with the effect of trimming or folding on potential future value.

Today I have three old (1920s-1930s) prints with large plain borders around the pictures which are dirty, water-stained and very torn and ragged around their edges. They could be framed with wide mount borders to hide the damage. Or, they could have up to two inches trimmed off all round to remove the damage and reduce their total size (and cost to the customer) and make, in my opinion, a more attractive end product with mount borders of better proportions.

The customer says "I leave it to you". To be honest I am inclined to trim in this instance. What would you do?

Posted: Tue 05 Dec, 2006 9:24 pm
by markw
I wouldn't allow the customer to opt out of this decision. If the customer wants you to trim the print you should have that recorded and the customer given a copy. If the prints are valuable then watermarks can be removed - but if the customer is working to a budget then all you can do is explain the options - then go with what they want.

Re: To trim or not to trim?

Posted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 9:00 am
by Not your average framer
Underpinner wrote:
Today I have three old (1920s-1930s) prints with large plain borders around the pictures which are dirty, water-stained and very torn and ragged around their edges.
If it was left to me (and I do sell antique and old prints), these un-attractive borders are never the less part of the history of these old prints and may be better left for future owners or generations to treasure as they originally were produced. I only ever cut down anything at the customers insistance and can imagine myself saying no if I considered it to be irresponsible to do as the customer wished.
Cheers,
Mark

To trim or not to trim?

Posted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 7:47 pm
by Underpinner
Thank you both for your advices. I have completed the job without trimming. So the Golden Rule remains intact in my workshop.

To be honest it doesn't make me feel good. Why should I have to be so conscientious for a pittance, when much bigger businesses than mine, who are selling art in one form or another to the public, are blatantly ignoring the basic rules about which you and I care so much?