Watercolour Problem

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Sibbs
Organisation: Frame & Fortune
Interests: New Framer

Watercolour Problem

Post by Sibbs »

Hi folks

I'm in need of a little advice. A customer brought in the watercolour below and would like it re-framed. It is actually a very nice piece but whoever framed it before (looks like around the 50's/60's) has gummed the paining to the backboard. You can't actually see it in the photo but the painting has warped or has air bubbles behind it and looks like it is in 3D now! :)
P1000536 1.jpg
P1000536 1.jpg (577.31 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
The customer would like it re-mounted, but as I told her I wouldn't be able to get rid of the 3D bubbles. Other than pressing the painting directly on to glass does anyone have any ideas?

I don't think it is worth much but there is no way I am even going to attempt removing it from the back board.

Out of curiosity, what frame would you put round it? I'm thinking of the one below.
683_246_000.jpg
683_246_000.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Look forward to reading your thoughts, Cheers

Andy
prospero

Re: Watercolour Problem

Post by prospero »

Job for an expert restorer Andy.
It's probably hide glue (brewed up in a hot pot). Common practice at one time. The board they used I think is termed 'straw board'. Very manky stuff and is likely to have gone very brittle. I've seen some older ones that literally crumble away in your hands.

The whole thing would have to be soaked to soften the glue and then it would need flattening by more soaking and drying.

You can use it as a lesson to the customer of what happens if you don't frame things properly. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

What a shame as it is a wondefully executed watercolour and although not to my taste I can see its appeal.

As Prosperos says it is a job for a restorer but if you do get the job of reframing it I think your choice of moulding fits well with the art work. I would use a solid core mount like Colourmount Conservation Off white (681) so that when you cut the bevel there is not a clean white line around the image which I feel looks too modern. A couple of ruled gold lines or washlines on the mount would set it off and be in keeping with its age.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I agree with the above. The only thing I would add is don't use the glass to press the artwork down this can cause problems later on if the picture sticks to the glass, a particular recurring problem with photos.
I like J2M's idea for the mount, sometimes a white bevel can be too bright not like those nice old subtle acid burnt ones. Frame looks a good choice in keeping with the period.
prospero

Post by prospero »

As for pressing against the glass: If you put in a piece of 10mm plate glass and backed it with something very rigid such as a concrete paving slab, it still wouldn't press the wrinkles out. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Sibbs
Organisation: Frame & Fortune
Interests: New Framer

Post by Sibbs »

Thanks for the replies guys, you have just confirmed my fears. I did say to the lady that this wouldn't be too easy!

Like the idea of the gold ruled lines J2M. The chap or chappess that framed it before put a rather lovely pencil (as in carbon) line round the mount :Slap: . The whole thing stinks of homemade! Shame really because it is quite nice and very detailed for a watercolour.
Laloop2000
Organisation: Modern British Conservation
Interests: Painting, Walking, Looking at Art and sky diving

Post by Laloop2000 »

Dear Sibbs,

I am a young restorer, with an MA in paper conservation. I am looking at this great forum for tips on mounting, but I can see that will be another thread!!

I can remove the Watercolour from the backboard for you, and remove any residue of glue and return it flat ready to be framed. I would charge you £80 plus P&P, if you are happy to wrap it safely and post it to me?