Polcore/Polymer Moulding Problems

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RobynPlater
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Polcore/Polymer Moulding Problems

Post by RobynPlater »

I haven't yet been able to successfully cut a polymer moulding using my Morso. I thought the problem could be the blades so sent them off for sharpening (with Lion). Had them back today and tried again without any success. I am getting increasingly frustrated as I've tried everything I can think of (including talking to Mainline/Lion/Wessex).

When cutting I am taking very small chops (using every increment on the Morso). Please have a look at the attached pics and let me know what you think the problem might be. Any suggestions would be most welcome. The moulding in the images is Polcore.

Thanks
Robyn
Attachments
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg (247.55 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg (206.41 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Re: Polcore/Polymer Moulding Problems

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

Where did the moulding come from? Looks like Emafyl to me.
But that’s beside the point....

I’m not sure you have a problem there.
How are the corners joining? If from the front it looks ok then you don’t have a problem.
The core of the moulding breaking like that happens.... I just whack a little more glue into the hole!

But if the joint is good and tight and looks fine from the front I wouldn’t worry about it.

I find that Mainlines Polcore is ‘denser’ than other polymer mouldings and using it I don’t have that problem as much.... certainly not as bad as you have there any way.
Try some Polcore and see if still happens.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

I agree with JGF, If it joins okay and looks okay, then there's nothing much to worry about.

However if you make the last two or three bites of the Morso extra fine (ignore thr ratchet stops), you will find that the face of the mitre will be a lot smoother.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

If you are still having problems please email your phone number to me: ricky@mainlinemouldings.com
Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Remember to use some decent force when using the morso, don't tickle it. Small chops are fine but slow chops are a no no :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

At this time of year the lower temperatures can make the material more brittle, so if you are cutting it on a morso immediately after it has been delivered, I might be as well to remember that the inside of delivery vehicles and distribution warehouses can be quite cold.

I hope that this helps.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

If the front and back edges are good and the photo shows the only problem I wouldn't worry about it. The chipping is small and there is still a large surface area for the glue and wedge. Just cover with tape.
RobynPlater
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Post by RobynPlater »

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

John - your advice on the extra fine bites was the right approach. I did that and got a much better finish, but wasn't completely happy as was still getting some chipping. I increased the number of fine chops further before finishing with two extra fine shaves.

Easypopsgcf - yes, I do think that I was being a bit 'tentative' with my morso so I've started using a bit more 'welly' and I think that this has also helped.

Mark - another useful tip on the temperature of the moulding!

I'm completely happy with the results and I've attached some images showing the vast improvement. :D

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1742.jpg
IMG_1742.jpg (251.45 KiB) Viewed 3493 times
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg (241.43 KiB) Viewed 3493 times