strut backs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
stcstc

strut backs

Post by stcstc »

I need to make some custom MDF strut backs for a job. special size and they will be coated with black vinyal

is there a way to attch the hinges without having the press machine, ie can i buy a die and use a hammer etc

the job is only for a small number so not worth farming out and not big enough to make it worth buying the machine
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: strut backs

Post by Gesso&Bole »

If its for a small number can you not just buy a bigger size and cut them down?
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes they would cut easily on a table saw even if you had a couple of hundred this would be the way to go. I have made them before with bifurcated rivets but they are a PITA and don't look as good and are not as strong.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

nah need to laminate them with the vinyal first
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Lion do black ones page 103
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

ag thanks, i did look at them

client wants a diff finish is the prob
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The problem is fixing the strut to the hinge, its not so bad fixing the hinge to the back. You used to be able to buy struts with hinges attached then all you had to do was fit the strut to the back with Bifurcated rivets.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

ya wasnt sure if there was like a hand puch or something to use
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is a problem that I have been scratching my head with lately. :?

As AG said, Lion used to do pre-cut struts. Used a lot at one time, but no longer available. They had a clip riveted on which engaged with a bar on the backboard. Not sure if you can still get the bars 'n' clips anyone either.
Bif rivets are not so much a PITA as very tedious. You can speed things up by making jigs to drill the holes, etc, but it's still a boring job when you have to do 500 or so..... :cry:

Been experimenting with LIONs' Scroll Frame Stands, (pt561). But fixing the bracket to the frame rather than the backs. It's good up to a point: I put a couple of screws in the fixing holes. You can get them as tight into the wood as when using a press, so the stands are a bit wobbly. But a light tap in the right place with a hammer makes a more positive fit. Still a slightly long-winded procedure though. They a re quite stable and on bigger frames you can always use two.

Anyone who can devise an easy-to-use system that looks good and is strong and cost effective would be onto a good thing. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It might be worth talking to "The Art Centre" at Callington in Cornwall, on 01579 383 523. They made some backs for me with rivetted on hangers a few years ago.

I think that the black vinyl might be a problem though as I think they might have to cut down standard strut backs to do this.

A bit of a long shot, but I hope this helps.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Simons do the spring clip and bar for strut backs, page 75 of Red Catalogue Machinery , fittings etc
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/