Floating acrylic - how to hang?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Floating acrylic - how to hang?

Post by Kevlar »

Hi all, wondered if I could seek your advice please regarding acrylic hanging.

I want to float acrylic that has it's image reverse mounted onto the acrylic but I don't want to use standoffs to hang it. I need to understand what goes on the reverse of the image printed? What is the general approach to this?

Once I have mounted the printed image onto acrylic, do I use Double Sided mounting film to add a back substrate to the back of the print/acrylic package and if so what? MDF, Dibond, 3mm Palight PVC or a 3mm acrylic? Also what weight will DSM film take as I want to use 10mm acrylic panel? Is there a calculation for weight holding capacity per sq metre?

What type of hanger would I use for the different substrates ? I assume key holes for MDF? Some sort of heavy duty bonding tape and metal hanger for dibond and acrylic key holes cemented to the back panel? What would i use for PVC?

Thanks for your help
Kev
stcstc

Re: Floating acrylic - how to hang?

Post by stcstc »

there are lots of ways to do it

DONT just attach to the back of the print, the fixings will show through

1. attach a secondary sheet of acrylic to the back, then you can glue to it. diabonds never looks right, palight works, i tend to use 3mm black acrylic, it looks perfect

2. order a roll of black chalk board laminate from your local hotpress dealer, no need for dsm then, and you can glue to it

as far as fixings

i tend to use split battens, i use either foamex or mdf. the foamex tends to work the best but costs more

lion also sell aluminium support frames which can be glued

another option is to use a bare hardwood, like ash, and make a support frame and glue to back

as far as glue, i use scotchweld dp810. not the cheapest but man does it stick