Data collection

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
markw

Data collection

Post by markw »

When I sell a frame or picture I have the chance to collect valuable data. Ive known this for years but like so many things related to my business I am always too busy to take advantage.

New year - new resolve - and the fact that I managed to cock up a less than perfect database of customers has made me look at the way I collect and store that data. Having used Estlite for many years to price jobs I have kept the data I collect to Name - telephone number - and the job info - no other contact details - and that can be a problem when you get work in that isn't collected and the phone is never answered. So clean copy of Estlite installed along with APD postcode software that allows me to capture postal address by entering the postcode. Now all I have to do is work on a marketing strategy to use all the new info gathered. Any good tips for marketing - newsletters etc.
beth

Post by beth »

I always collect peoples full address and email. And I ask how they heard of my business.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I recall Robo mentioning a newsletter. Perhaps he would recommend that as a marketing tool.

If you haven't already done so, take a look on The Grumble, our American cousins are miles ahead of us when it comes to this kind of thing.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We have had a newsletter for years, it goes out every other month and people seem to just love it!

Six pages of text - no pictures, by post and email plus given out in the shop with most purchases by new customers, attached is a flyer saying that if they want more, for free, to return it with their details.

It's about what is new, offers, local gossip, funny stories, the odd joke. I get two pages 'A Word From John' Pat gets the rest as her 'side' has about 4 milllion times more products than mine!

Must be pushing a circulation of 4000

We also have a 'club' - with the flyer an offer to join is included £5 per year gives a 5% discount across the board plus any needlework kit bought from us and returned completed (duh!) for framing gets free lacing - or the 5%, whichever is greater and unless it's a very up-market frame or museum glass, it's nearly always the lacing - and at times it can mean that the customer is saving more than the needlework kit cost, so effectively they got that for free. To me it's 20 mins or so and a framing job I may not have otherwise got.

About 20 or 30 of these club members meet in the shop on the last Friday of each month and sit about gassing and knitting (etc) - does my head in!

If I mention what a brown mount bevel means, I get lots of treasured photos (etc) in for re-framing.

I once offered free inspection of frames and gave a list of warning signs to look for on valuable (money/sentiment/whatever) artwork.

One lady brought in a sampler, recently framed - opened it - masking tape, self adhesive board, trimmed.

She ended up bringing in about thirty pieces that had been done by the same framer for rescue/re-framing.

Also had plenty of business from those that have never heard of us but have had the newsletter forwarded to them by email.
markw

Post by markw »

Thanks John - you only confirm my thoughts that you have to generate extra business by getting off your butt.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If anyone would like our newsletter just email me at angmeringframing@aol.com - this issue - one month overdue is 8 pages and most of it won't mean a thing to you!

A lot of Grumblers get it and seem to like it.