Morso Bottom Blades

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Morso Bottom Blades

Post by AllFramed »

Hello All,

I have just changed the blades on my Morso and given it a bit of a service, well, a bit of a clean and grease. The back/bottom of the left blade is just touching on the bottom blade so it drags on the way back up. The front of the blade has a wafer thin gap and the right blade has the same wafer thin gap for the whole length and moves freely.

There is nothing in the manual about adjusting the bottom blades. I assume that I can adjust the bottom blade by undoing the 4 hex nuts and re-positioning it slightly. Is this correct? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have also found that the front and back hex nuts on both sides are locked tight (WD40 doing its stuff now I hope), and the middle two are loose. Is this normal or might there have been some incorrect maintenance previously.

Thanks in advance, Tim.
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
Nearlygotitright
Organisation: Bellfield basement
Interests: Hill walking, gardening, framing

Re: Morso Bottom Blades

Post by Nearlygotitright »

Speaking with all the authority of someone who has changed blades once on his recently acquired Morso, I can say that when I fitted the replacement blades they were binding on the lower blades, so I simply eased off the allen bolts and re-set them so that there was a fag paper between them and the new blades. That seems to work well for me.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

If they fitted before then they should go straight back on? The bottom bits you speak of are not blades btw. I have worked on quite a few(9 or 10) morso's over the years and have never had to undo any of the bottom guide allan bolts. More than likely you have the blades on wrongly, ie, dirt behind them, not tight enough, not coming to a point at the front which would mean that one side is pushed slightly over(this is my guess)
Good luck :D
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Thanks both for your replies. I think this may have been happening with the blades I took off too, they have slight tell tale vertical marks. I had assumed that the springs weren't returning the knife head right back to the top. I have given the machine a good greasing and adjusted the springs up a hole so the head without the blades returns nicely. Put the sharpened blades on and it rubs and wont return fully without assistance. Took them off to check for dust etc trapped behind but clean and tightened the bolts but they wont pull it in any further.

I have then concluded that the allen keyed blades/guides need adjusting. The problem I now have is that I cannot shift the little bolts at the front and back of the offending side. WD40 seems not to be getting through. Any ideas anyone?
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

You may have over tightened the blades, it can slightly warp the blade, also try loosening the bolts and moving the blades back by a mm or so, so they don't quite meet at the end. if this fails use a manual impact driver £15 ish, this will work to loosen your bolts.
http://www.esska-tech.co.uk/esska_eng/b ... 5106_g.jpg