Page 1 of 1
Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 5:49 am
by Trinity
Project is a reframe, a 1994, high sentimental value pastel on cheap craft? paper from a damp wall and mould + moisture staining is present and visible. I dismantled the package and much of the mould was surface stuff which blew off with an air gun. I tried a soft brush 1st but it was going to brush in rather than off. I think it's been a long standing problem where the owner has had a go in the past, It was originally framed in a shop.
Pastel was attached to back of standard mount + mdf backing board only and intermittently taped around the edges. You can see the mould quite easy, but note the moisture staining if you can. Is there anything you can do to kill off the spores that might be in / still on the paper before reassembly please. I think the moisture stain is there for good. As you might expect the owner would like the dog's name and artist name to stay visible. I do not think there is any residual pastel bits to drop of the artwork and a different dry wall has been identified.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 6:13 am
by Trinity
After blowing off with air. Mould beneath the glass and visible blew of but that which was under the mount for the most part remains.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 7:01 am
by IFGL
if I remember rightly the only thing that kills mould spoars is sunlight ( probably the UV ) not very practical though, and I'm more than likely wrong I don't even know where I got that from.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 8:17 am
by Steve N
A job for a restorer or conserver, there must be one near you, I always refer to a conserver near me (happens to be a frum member).
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
by prospero
Mold and
Spores
Yours Faithfully,
Cpt.I.M.Picky R.N. (retired)

Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 4:07 pm
by Trinity
Mould / mold, happy with mould, need help. It might be that someone has experience of this without the need to take to a restorer. High sentimental value might not extend to the additional cost of a restorer.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 5:27 pm
by prospero
Pity the marks stray over into the image area.
If you (gently) brush the loose powdery residue from the surface and remount it, I'd say the mould won't regrow as long as it's kept in a relatively dry environment. If the customer won't splash out for the full restoration treatment, at least they will have the option to do this at a later date.
If you try to remove the marks, chances are you will tear up the paper surface and make it impossible to restore.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 5:38 pm
by IFGL
maybe ask one of your regular artists to cover the mark with a little pastel , your customer needs to address the damp wall though,. even if you damp proof the frame.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 7:11 pm
by JFeig
Trinity wrote: It might be that someone has experience of this without the need to take to a restorer.
What we have in this situation is a job that is beyond the realm of a picture framer. The picture framer is also not being honest with the client that "we have limitations and are not conservators nor magicians". The idea that the client does not want to pay for a conservator is not part of your job description nor your worry.
In reality a conservator MIGHT BE ABLE TO ASSIST in reducing the staining and the killing of the mold. In the long run a conservator will not be able to prevent a reoccurance of mold without the use of a costly micro chamber enclosure. Mold is everywhere and with proper conditions will regrow.
Re: Mould within reframe project
Posted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012 7:36 pm
by Not your average framer
Trinity wrote:much of the mould was surface stuff which blew off with an air gun.
This is not a good idea! There are serious health risks associated with doing this. Inhaling mould spores can make you very ill indeed. You should also wash your hand very thoroughly before eating or drinking anything, because there are serious health risks concerned with ingesting mould spores as well.
I remove mould spores using groomstick, which is very effective and safe for removing loose material from paper. Each time that mould spores are picked up by the groomstick I fold the groomstick together so that the mould spores are now inside the groomstick. You can get groomstick from Picreator and from Lion.