Hardened Veneer pins

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hardened Veneer pins

Post by Not your average framer »

I have a limited stock of hardened steel veneer pins in various sizes and I find them very useful, as they don't bend. Unfortunately, I'm starting to run out of many of the most useful sizes and so far I have failed to locate a source of supply for these. They have a black finish and I think they probably were originally supplied in orange coloured plastic boxes. They are much thinner than the hardened pins for picture hooks and very neat and easy to use.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get more?
TTC

Hardened Pins

Post by TTC »

The pins you are talking about were originally supplied by Arquati, many, many years ago. They were in orange tubs about 4x4x4" with a plastic top.

Having excited you that I know what you are talking about now I have to tell you that I have been searching for similar pins like these for the past five years to no avail :cry:

I have probably about half a tub of the 3/4" pins left which I am loathe to use as I know I won't be able to replace them.

If you do find a source I would love to hear of it.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well a google search comes up with plenty - but not black THESE are just 1mm thick.

Hey TTC - welcome neighbour! Whereabouts in Sussex??
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

ScrewFixhas three sizes of veneer pins, any chance that these are what you are looking for?

Welcome to the forum TTC.
TTC

Post by TTC »

Roboframer wrote:Well a google search comes up with plenty - but not black THESE are just 1mm thick.

Hey TTC - welcome neighbour! Whereabouts in Sussex??
God's waiting room :D

But to answer both John and Roboframer, no the veneer pins you have found are much thicker than the original Arquati ones. The hardened blue pins that they supplied back in the 1970 / 1980s are not much thicker than a standard dress making pin.

I have made extensive enquiries both here and on the continent over the years but it appears that they were made exclusively for Arquati specifically for the framing trade.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

TTC wrote:
God's waiting room :D
I have heard several places referred to as that, Eastbourne, where all the car windscreens are bi-focal, Battle, Worthing and Bognor (the last resort!)

Some refer to this part of Sussex as 'God's pocket' we are spared a lot of bad weather by the S Downs. On the weather maps there always seems to be a line through here, so we only get weather each side of us I suppose!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:Bognor (the last resort!)
Knowing Bognor, I can't think of a better description.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I live about 9 miles away and can count my visits there on one hand - last one was probably 7 years ago, there's just this dismal, grey depressing air about the place.

Sure that's not where TTC is from - don't know of any framers there.

C'mon where is it? I promise I won't do a 'Cable Guy' on you!