Page 1 of 1

PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Sat 22 Sep, 2012 4:47 pm
by Trinity
Could any of the experts elaborate please, on this technique shown in the current PFM-the fabric wrapping stuff at the end of the article. There's just one or two "how to" sentences missing for me.

Re: PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 7:55 pm
by GUNNAR
Hi Keith.

I was interested in your post but I havnt seen the article. Is there an online copy perhaps?

Sarah/Gunnar

Re: PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 8:07 pm
by Roboframer
You have to subscribe, someone that does subscribe sent me a link to a current issue once - no good.

Re: PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 8:10 pm
by GUNNAR
Well that'll be that then.
Thanks Robo

Re: PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:51 pm
by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Hi Trinity,

I believe that the author of this article, David Lantrip was trying to be extremely generic with this article which appears in the September issue of PFM Magazine.

We have honestly done Embossed matting for over 30+ years, and typically use double thick mountboard, along with a PVA Adhesive that can be heat reactivated. (United Fabric Adhesive #2912) but I'm sure others will work as well.

David shows many great examples in his article but I believe most are cut through on standard thickness mountboard. I prefer the enhanced dimension that shows when thicker board is used. I demonstrated this at a Glass & Mirror program in London back in the late 1990's for those that might have been around. :D

CMC's make this an awesome technique today. Cut raised shapes and adhere to a substrate, keeping fallouts for later use.

Cover the overall design with fabric adhesive, and then lay the fabric of choice on top. Refit the fallouts and any loose piece into registration. Make a "sandwich" out of this whole package and place into your heat-vacuum press. Weight during the cooling process afterwards and you are rewarded with some great dimensional mounts...

Image

John

Re: PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 5:32 pm
by Trinity
Thanks for the explanation John, clear enough now to have a meaningful attempt - I can already picture the enhanced look of the thicker mat.

Keith

Re: PFM - Dimensional Fabric Mounts

Posted: Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:48 pm
by Steve N
Lovely example John :clap:

If I'm not mistaken I think you wrote a piece for Art Business Today, I should think when you did the bit for Glass & Mirror in the 90's (been following your career :giggle: )

I have used this technique many times myself, thanks John