Gielle F100 underpinner?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
janelewis

Gielle F100 underpinner?

Post by janelewis »

I have just been offered a second hand underpinner. It is a Gielle F100. Having decided it was a good idea to look out for a Cassesse I would like any information on Gielle and wondered if there is anything (good/bad/idiosyncratic etc.)I should know about them.

thaks all for your advice so far and I haven't made my mind up as yet.

Jane
jane lewis
osgood

Post by osgood »

What I always have looked for, as my first priority, in a vee nailer is quality of the joint produced. Try joining several mouldings with each machine to see how well they join. If the quality of the joint is important to you, Cassese will win. If it is not important to you, then any brand will do.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Jane,

I used a Gielle underpinner while on two days of training with Mike Royale who is the south west Master of the FATG. I don't know if it was the same model, but it seemed to be a good solid machine and easy to use. If someone like Mike uses it, one would assume it would soon get the elbow, if it was not up to the job. They are distributed in the UK by Wessex so the spare back-up should not be a problem and Wessex can probably answer any questions you may have about the machine.
markw

Post by markw »

Mike Royale hasn't been South West Branch master for years.
Pete.

Jane's Underpinner

Post by Pete. »

The absolute worst thing that I can say about this U/P is that I've never heard of it.
For my pennorth, the Alfamacchine Minigraf 4 is far and away the best bench mountable machine available, but it's not cheap. You pays your money and takes your choice.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We had a Cassesse 810 since 1988 which finally gave up the ghost last year. We replaced it with a minigraf 4 and, although we liked the cassesse machine, the Minigraf is far better in every way - it may be because it is a more modern machine but well worth the money.

Robin
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Wessex have Gielie in their range http://www.wessexpictures.com/gielle_products.html
osgood

Post by osgood »

RobinC wrote:We had a Cassesse 810 since 1988 which finally gave up the ghost last year. We replaced it with a minigraf 4 and, although we liked the cassesse machine, the Minigraf is far better in every way - it may be because it is a more modern machine but well worth the money.

Robin
Robin,
Your experience is exactly the opposite to mine and every other Cassese owner that I have found in Australia. I know several people who have an 810 and they all are very pleased with theirs.
I had a Minigraf 44 for around 10 years and now have a Cassese 3099 Ultra. The Minigraf 44 was a worse machine in every possible way. Especially the joints it made. The technology of the vee nail design and the way the machines clamp the corners is miles ahead.

The Cassese machines have so many advantages in it's ability to make tight joints (which I listed in another forum) that other brands do not have.

I can only say that I am very surprised by your experience.

One company used to sell Gielle machines down here many years ago, but now no-one does. I wonder if that means something?
janelewis

Post by janelewis »

thanks again, for your input, it really does seem to suggest Cassesse is the one to go for, and judging by the price second hand ones fetch on ebay other people feel the same. They are not cheap.

Has anyone got/know of a CS 79, or CS 88 they want to sell? Not too many miles from east of England?
jane lewis