PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
lynnbmack
Organisation: Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie
Interests: art, reading, animals, gardening, walking, photography,

UV Glass - large work

Post by lynnbmack »

I have another interesting one!

I have a large painting on a fine cotton fabric which is very old and will be going onto a sheet of artcare jumbo board - 40x60. The client is enquiring about UV glass and the glaziers nearest to me have said UV laminated safety glass - 4.4mm is probably the best for the size.

Also - I assume the only way to attach this piece properly is to sew (or tag it with the microtag gun). There will be no cut mount, just the backing and there is no selvedge around the piece so any fixing has to be invisible or as near as damn it.

It is going to end up being quite large as you can imagine with a heavy carved frame as the grand finale!
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

G'day Lynn,

You are lucky if they have 4.38mm clear laminated as a standard glass over there.
In Oz, it's standard clear lam in 5.38mm minimum.

Anyway, yes, the PVB interlayer blocks 98% of so of UVA light (which is the one you need to be concerned with).

There is Schott Morogard Protect becoming available here, a 4.38mm optically coated lam, but it is very pricey.

Other options are UV acrylic, and maybe a good clear security film, if you can find someone to apply it suitably.
These films also generally block 98% of UV light, and it is quite feasible to have larger 3mm clear (for example) fitted with this to get the UV block result.

I have a security filmed test piece ready to pick up tomorrow, and am looking forward to assessing suitability / quality for use in framing.

Like Uv coatings, the filmed side would go to the art.
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

Mmmm, can't see to be able to edit typos now ???

Anyway, that's Schott Mirogard Protect, and it's a reflection free optical coating I mentioned.
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I use 40 x 60 Conservation Clear (UV) from TruVue on a regular basis without any problem as do most US framers. Anything over this size is automatically quoted with acrylic. I would hate to think what the cost and the weight of laminated glass would be. A standard 3-4mm sheet of 48" x 96" UV filtering acrylic is about $150US.

You didn't comment on a spacer of some sort between the glazing and the textile. That should be a must.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
markw

Post by markw »

wouldnt use mountboard - not rigid enough at this size - large sheet of foamcore would be better. Doubt that the tag gun would work on mboard - the tags are 4.5mm or 5.4mm. 5mm foamcore and 5.4mm tag could work. You should space the work away from the glass. You can get Artshield Uv control - scratch resistant acrylic 3mm - much lighter than thicker glass.

How good are your suppliers that far north?
lynnbmack

Post by lynnbmack »

One of my main problems is getting the glazing as I am 80 miles from the nearest glaziers and although I have large car boot, I would rather they delivered - which is often an expensive issue in this part of the world!

I think i may lean towards the acrylic rather than glass for weight and safety - I am going to put a spacer in, but forgot to put that in my posting.

I got a price for Luxar laminated glass - ouch!! VERY pricey at over £300 pr sq m!! and that was without delivery. I will tell the client, but I think I know what the answer will be! anyway, back to the phone and net search!
lynnbmack

Post by lynnbmack »

The customer wants the mountboard for the colour as it will provide a "non cut" mount, tho I could attach the mountboard onto the fome core. The tag gun I have is the microtag which I have used on mountboard already and it seems to work really well, but I may just use good old needle and thread for this one - haven't quite decided yet as it is so big and a bit daunting, I want to be really sure of what I am doing before I actually start!

ARGHHHH!
markw

Post by markw »

We rather take for granted that whatever we need is only a phone call away. I suppose thats the price you pay for tranquility. Bet you can get a big fat lobster easier than I can in the Cotswolds.
lynnbmack

Post by lynnbmack »

At the moment I can't find a supplier of the Artshield UV north of Glasgow! Only a few hundred miles out!

Doesn't feel particularly tranquil in my head just now trying to solve this one!

All our shellfish goes to London & Spain!! Too expensive for us mere mortals! Maybe when I've finished this frame??