Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Sorry Ross, the walls aren't really curved, it is just an effect caused by the photo software when displaying a 360 degree view.

Click on the image for a moving image of place as it really is.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't think people are interested in any sort of hanging 'system' for their homes. I, for example have a home - I'm not interested - anyone else?

Common sense dictates that they do not want rods, wires, slats or holes all over the place, also that, unlike us, they are not going to be constantly changing their picture hanging arrangements.

Most framers will sell all sorts of wallhooks though and that is all most anyone needs.
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

in 16 years of business we've never had such a request.

mainly people wanting us to get easels for them,

but hooks are a different matter,

we currently stock

regular brass plated hooks, in sizes small medium and large,

Medium fleur de lys hoooks

Small medium and large bronze plated hooks

picture rail hooks in bronze and brass, two sizes each

Toly Hooks,

and X plasterboard hooks,

think thats everything catered for.

Grahame
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote: Anyway I think it's about time someone invented a system that is invisible - not see through or have to look hard - invisible.
The place I was trained at use panels of "shuttering ply", (very cheap), covered with "blue hessian", (also fairly cheap). Normal brass plated picture hooks and pins are then used to hang the pictures.

When you later pull out the pins, the hessian hides the holes. The blue colour is part of their corporate livery.

It's not overly stylish or high-tech, but it works!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

In addition to Grahame's list above, or most of it, we sell heavy duty hangers - one and three hole - for use with rawl plugs, strap hangers and the 'J' shaped wall hooks for them and 'hangeze' or hangezee? Which are called wallbuddies in the US. Oh and 3 sizes of mirror plates, including the inverted ones.
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

i actually forgot about them,

we also sell knurled head pins

need to investigate Hangeeeze, see if it would be viable as an option

for the fixings on backs of pictures we tend to shy away from cord, and use D-rings and wire, flangers or Hangits much neater, and a better breaking strain, and causes less damage to customers walls than the conventional screw rings/eyes tend to.

of course we still have customers who want screw rings and cord for exhibitions, and we are happy to accomodate that.

larger pictures are always given strap hangers as a rule of thumb, with the wall hangers, we leave the rawl plugs etc up to the customer, perhaps we should supply them to make sure they are not just placing a bit of wire between the two strap hangers, we do make sure to tell them how to use them of course.

we also supply a hook, however the number of times i've seen an item come back (because the picture fell off a nail and smashed the glass) with the hook and care instructions still on the back beggars belief.

Grahame

customers, you can't live with 'em, you can't live without 'em
ross

Display/hanging systems

Post by ross »

John - you just spoilt the allusion - mind you, the real image is still pretty impressive!!

Robo - you may not want droppers or holes in your walls, but be assured we are finding there is a steady stream of enquiries for hanging systems. Apart from art galleries, quite a few households are seeking them for family wall displays, for displaying items from their travel exploits and even for children's art. Also, owners of residental property that is tenanted are finding the installation of a hanging system, enables tenants to hang artwork without major damage to the walls - tenants are happy to use these systems also as they can then enjoy their artwork without being concerned about holes in the walls

It surprises me that most respondents have indicated little to no interest in hanging systems - perhaps that is because nobody is displaying hanging systems, and hence the public don't know about them - don't know how they work

It can't just be sunny Queensland that brings out the interest, can it???
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I suppose if you use a hanging sysyem, you are in fact displaying one as well. If people are happy to pay a 100% mark up on your price plus tax, fine, but the price I buy at is not intended for re-sale, I am the end user, so I would have to start looking for trade suppliers, i.e. wherever my current supplier is getting them from.

But firstly I'd have to ask myself, 'do I want to sell shopfittings' and I don't, nor lighting sytems, nor seating, carpets, floortiles, security cameras, card spinners and display units or print browsers.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote: But firstly I'd have to ask myself, 'do I want to sell shopfittings' and I don't, nor lighting sytems, nor seating, carpets, floortiles, security cameras, card spinners and display units or print browsers.
John,
I have sold a number of hanging systems for use in private homes. In my opinion they are yet another device for hanging pictures. Just like all the different varieties of hooks, hangers etc. which I'm sure you would sell in your shop.

The "shopfittings" you have listed are unrelated to hanging pictures, except for lighting and if my customer wanted picture lights I would get them in for them.
I just can't see any logic in your "shopfittings" statement! Sorry!

Down here, framing suppliers sell hanging systems and we do make a tidy profit from selling them.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Simply saying that there are things I use and things I sell, some of the things I use I also sell, not all.

We are quite regularly asked 'how much are the bar stools' which are placed around a central island for catalogue browsing, etc.

Always open to new selling ideas but this one - a visible hanging system, isn't for me at the moment, not saying it's a daft idea or anything.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

For 18 years we had a mix of metal grids, stove enamelled in grey, to match the wall colour behind, covering about a third of th eshop. The rest of the walls were covered in grey brushed nylon and we fixed the pictures using velcro, stapled to the back of the frame, this was a fantastic versatule system, very qucik to change, but it resulted in staple holes being left in the back of the frames. In 18 years we only had 1 complaint, but we don't know how many other customers didn't like it but didn't complain. When we refurbished last year we use pegboard, covered in polyweave, which is a sythetic hessian. It looks great, especially in the dark burgundy shade. We have a small part covered in a beige colour which doesn't work as well because you can see the holes in the pegboard behing the polyweave. The poly weave is good because you can display moulding samples using velcro. You do get holes where you insert the pegboard hooks, but on the darker colours they are diffucult to see. I have been messing about with you tube, so if you want to have a look, goto youtube.com and search for original art shop preston. I apologise for the jerky quality but as I say, I was just messing about with a new camera.

Robin[/img]