float mounting

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
nickhood
Organisation: Hook Framing
Interests: Gardening.local history

float mounting

Post by nickhood »

Hi everyone. I have a customer who has a nice etching on good quality paper with an nice deckled edge. The customer wants the picture float mounted. I suggested the usual way of mounting i.e tape passed through slots in mount board and secured to back of print so reversable, but the customer would like the etching to float approx 3 to 4 mm above the mount board. what do i use to float the etching, 3.5mm foamcore or mount board bonded together? I am keen to offer the best possible solution and keep as near to conservation framing as possible. The price on the etching is £165.
Nick
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: float mounting

Post by IFGL »

I would do as you suggested, but use a slightly smaller piece of mount board than the etching, then pva some 5mm foam board spacers to the back of the mount board then pva those to your normal sized backing, hey presto floating dodah, I did a pirate map for my little boy like that, it looks great I had it 10 mm from the backing though.

Hope that makes sense.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: float mounting

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I float mounted an etching on quite a large sheet of heavy paper. Bigger than A3 if I recall. The only problem was the paper had been artisticly crumpled then 'flattened' so it was all uneven and couldn't be floated using sheet material. I made 5 stacks of foamcore between 3 and 7cm high and used those to space the paper away from the board. 4 I positioned about 10 cm in from each corner and one in the center. It was framed in a 10 cm deep box frame.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk