Page 1 of 1

Workshop Rules

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 6:01 am
by John
I might put up a small list of cardinal rules for the workshop.

Important stuff, nothing too petty.

Number one on my list is: -
Never slide a frame across the work surface, always lift it to move it, even for a short distance.

Any others come to mind?

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 6:33 am
by foxyframer
I'll agree with that.

A blanket covering the finishing work surface offers protection for frame faces, some being more delicate than others.

Another basic rule: bin waste immediately. Nothing more lethal than SBS on a smooth concrete floor which has dropped of the end of the bench guillotine, unless you want to take up skating.

Framers' workshops can be dangerous places; just be tidy.

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 3:19 pm
by Framer Dave
Never allow glass waste to stick out above the top of the waste bin.

Always use a seperate bin for glass and paper waste.

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 5:59 pm
by Roboframer
Keep assembled frame away from glass cleaning area until ready to assemble. Especially do not put fragile finishes face down near the glass you are cleaning, the glass can slide under the frame and take the finish off. Don't ask!

Glass cleaner - use and put away nowhere near artwork - ditto above!

Welcome Dave - great to see you here!

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 6:08 pm
by Bill Henry
Absotively, positutely, NO beverage containers in the work area!

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 7:48 pm
by Dermot
Bill Henry wrote:Absotively, positutely, NO beverage containers in the work area!
Or....Fish & Chips

Re: Workshop Rules

Posted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 11:29 pm
by osgood
John wrote: Never slide a frame across the work surface, always lift it to move it, even for a short distance.
Depends what your work surface is!
The most fragile finishes can be slid on my work surface as much as I like with no damage.

Posted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 3:53 am
by Keith Hewitt
Come on Ormond...... :)
Open up....and tell us what your work surface is..
Or post an image

Keith Hewitt

Posted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 7:36 am
by foxyframer
Bill

Coffee cups on the worktop was always the framers No: 1 cardinal sin.

Posted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 3:14 pm
by Bill Henry
Two of my tables used primarily for fitting are covered with an inexpensive, nylon carpet (remnants from a going out of business sale). The pile is about 1 cm deep, so that debris tends to sink to the bottom of it and reduces the possibility of scratching the frame when I slide it. When the mood suits me, I simply vacuum the carpet and get the boogers out.

On the very rare occasion when I get a spot of glue on the carpet, I just snip off the offending thread.

Posted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 4:12 pm
by michelle
I'm not in the same league as you lot as I work from a workshop at home. I bet not many people have to have a rule of No dogs allowed or no children - my double sided tape has a horrible habbit of disapearing.
michelle

helpful tips

Posted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 2:39 pm
by Manor Fine Arts
1 never lift pictures back to face as the fixing screws on the back may damage the finish on the front of other frames

2 promote and encourage health and safety in the work place

3 Clear bench of framing equipment before starting new job

Posted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 3:19 pm
by kev@frames
foxyframer wrote:I'll agree with that.

A blanket covering the finishing work surface offers protection for frame faces, some being more delicate than others.

Framers' workshops can be dangerous places; just be tidy.
our work surfaces are carpeted, works a treat.

our main rules:

never leave an unfinished job on the workbench when you knock off, other people may want be working there when you've gone home.

when you just cant jam anything else in the bin, its your turn to empty it.

check/calibrate/adjust as necessary all the machinery daily before work.

no food or beverages anywhere near anyones work.

always crush and compact the glass waste in its own metal bin