Keencut vs Fletcher Cutters

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Keencut vs Fletcher Cutters

Post by StevenG »

Hi, I'm in the market for a wall mounted cutter and it seems that the Fletcher 3100 & The Keencut Excalibur 5000 are the most common (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been reading the spec on both and there's nothing that stands out to make me choose either way, from what I've read the Fletcher needs to swap heads when cutting different materials whereas the Keencut doesn't - does this make a hugh difference. Can anyone give shed some light to which side I might go???
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Keencut vs Fletcher Cutters

Post by Not your average framer »

I use a Keencut System 4000, which has the rotating tool head and it works perfectly well. Where I was originally trained, they first had an Excalibur 5000 (which also works perfectly well), but then they switched to the Fletcher 3100 and having used them all, my personal preference would be for the Fletcher, because I like the thinking behind the design and construction, which means that it is a maintenance free machine.

Having said all that, I don't have any complaints at all about my Keencut 4000. Machines from either manufacturer still get the job done and both machines are built like tanks and will last a lifetime!

Changing the tool carriers on the Fletcher takes no time at all. Fletcher even supply a little plastic bin which locks into the horizontal rail to give you somewhere convenient to keep the tool carriers clso to the centre of the machine.

The Keencut has an adjustment in the rotating turret to take care of movement in the bearing as wear occurs over time, but the Fletcher does not need this, due to using tool carriers instead.

Also the Keencut has adjustments to compensate for wear occurring in the vertical sliding nylon bearings and again the Fletcher does not need to do this either due to different design practices

The above adjustments of the Keencut are not a lot of hassle to do, if you are a practical type of person, but with the Fletcher you don't have to do anything.

The Keencut has two sliding heads on the same vertical rail, with one head just for cutting MDF and backing boards. Both heads are configured to cut along the same line, so that there is only one flip stop needed for cutting glass, mountboard and backing.

The fletcher does not have quite the same arrangement and has a double flip stop to correct for the difference of alignment needed for cutting backing boards, but don't be put off by this, all it involves is flipping the second part of the flip stop into position and that it!

If there is a down side with the Fletcher, as it does not have legs to rest on the floor, the whole thing has to be screwed directly onto the wall at the right height. With the Keencut you can adjust the height of the legs until you get your prefered operating height and then screw the top fixing bracket to the wall.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Jeepers! That's a great reply, decent of you to take the time out for a proper answer :)

Based on what you've said and the fact I like things to be as maintenance free as possible (I've plently of other things to take up my time :) ) I'm starting to sway towards the Fletcher. One of the things that kept bringing me back to the Keencut was the idea of owning something called an 'Excalibur" - it sounds very manly! :lol:

Thanks again for the info, nice to hear someone who's actually used the equipment, video promos etc can make anything look good
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have a fletcher 3100a, bought it second hand 6 years ago. No problems apart from, when I originally got it the board blade holder clamp screws were worn. I re drilled and tapped to the next size up, making it stronger. Still has the same pair of screws in it.

I'd recommend it all day long. Haven't tried the other one.

Dave
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

If anyone is interested - I've gone for the Fletcher. Thanks for all the input guys
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Anyway, I got the Fletcher and can I ask am I alone in thinking that the supplied installation instructions are the most overly complicated and longwinded piece of literature in existence. :head:

I eventually found some rock haired woman on youtube demo'ing the setup, I gained more from that 5min clip than an hour with the supplied military grade encryption setup guide.

Anyway, rant over :)
Crusty
Organisation: Film Art Framing
Interests: Movie posters, Detroit Tigers baseball, long hikes with the dog, beer, procrastinating, etc.

Post by Crusty »

A very timely post!

The vertical cutter is the last piece of the puzzle for me and I've not known which way to turn. Thanks very much for starting the thread and many thanks for the people who've taken the time to put forth a helpful and conscientious reply. :D