Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Morso upgrade

Post by ChrisG »

Toying with the idea of upgrading the Morso, would you go for a Morso EH or a saw?
Graysalchemy

Re: Morso upgrade

Post by Graysalchemy »

For what it costs for an EH morso you may as well pay a little more and buy a cassese saw. however you need more space a big dust extractor and a decent air supply. But the cut is far better than an EH and a lot faster.
prospero

Post by prospero »

What AG said^. :D

If you do a lot of wide mouldings - 3" or wider then you will wonder how you managed without a saw once you have one.
You need a good one though with the right blade.
Saws are noisy, heavy, dusty and expensive. So you need to have the right space. But there are advantages.
The quality of wood in mouldings has declined over the years. A saw will cope better with iffy wood. It will handle
undercuts on mouldings better than a Morso. And it's much quicker. No incremental bites.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

So is a Morso EH significantly better than a Morso F? Given that I don't have the space fro a saw?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well if you have no room for a saw then an EH it will have to be. I don't think you get a better cut with an EH but it will save your knees. A saw does give a far superior cut and will cut larger mouldings with ease. One thing you will find if you have a saw is that you also need a good underpinner as well.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You hear of those who upgrade from a Morso to a saw, but not the other way round. A saw will increase your productivity too, when you're really busy you will appreciate how much faster a saw can be. BTW, I only have a Morso, but if I had the space and the money it would be a saw!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

An EH won't give you a better cut as previously noted.
Unless you have a very good reason for using one then stick to the F.

The only framer I know who uses one is missing a leg. That's a very good reason. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About