Morso adjustment

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Morso adjustment

Post by ChrisG »

I've recently taken delivery of a second hand Morso but this did not come with an instruction manual and I believe the factory is on a summer shutdown. So can someone tell me what adjustments are available and the correct method for fitting blades.

The reason: I'm finding that the last 'sliver' cut doesn't completely cut through the moulding leaving a very thin piece in place which tears leaving a poor outside corner when joined.

All thoughts appreciated.

ChrisG
Roboframer

Re: Morso adjustment

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Sounds like the blades are not fully forward on the last notch - the blades can be moved forwards into the groove between the two fences by adjusting a lock-nut underneath the table. It is where the handle that moves the blades back and fore pivots. You should see a large nut and a flatter one behind it, unlock the large one, adjust the flat one (minutely) don't remember if clockwise or anti clockwise - trial and error.

It's also possible that one blade is bolted on further back than the other, there is a tiny amount of play on the bolts before tightening. Undo, (but do not remove) all six bolts and tighten the top two by hand whilst making sure the blades meet at the front with no overlap, once happy tighten the bolts one at a time and just a bit at a time, once fully tightened and if still happy, tighten the rest.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

If I understand your question correctly, there is an adjustment that you can make where the yoke meets the vertical connecting rod. You need to bring the rod down so that the blades can travel lower. This happens when the blades have been sharpened to the point where too much metal has been honed from them.
Morso(back.jpg
Morso(back.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
Loosen the bottom nut a few turns. The rod will have a bit of play so it may slip up just a bit. Then tighten the top nut so that the rod is pulled down. Go to the front of the Morsø and depress the foot pedal. Note where the blade enters the table. The blade should clear the table by just a fraction of an inch (not more than 2 or 3 mm.)

Keep adjusting the top nut until you reach that blade depth. Once it is reached, tighten the bottom nut so the rod doesn’t wiggle.

You will be good for a few more sharpenings before you need to drop the blade again.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Thanks for Morso Care Lesson 1.

When are you giving Lesson 2: How to keep your Morso so clean?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Bill Henry
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

When are you giving Lesson 2: How to keep your Morso so clean?
Photoshop! :)
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw once. Doctor holding X-ray talking to patient. 'You had a broken leg but it's OK now, I mended it in Photoshop.'
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

Obviously an NHS patient. :P

How about a "Who's got the filthiest Morso" competion? :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

That is a very clean Morso Bill.

Is it in use ?????
John GCF
Bill Henry

Post by Bill Henry »

Oh, yeah! I tend to take pretty good care of our tools and machinery. The Morsø is fairly easy for us to keep clean since it sits in the middle of the workroom and isn't against a wall.

Actually, when we were getting the store ready to shoot our TV commercials, my wife and I spent a three day weekend vacuuming, cleaning, and polishing everything we could get our hands on.

When we were finished, I photographed just about everything in the shop including the Morsø. Note the lack of shavings in the well. It hasn't looked that good since.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Merlin wrote:That is a very clean Morso Bill.

Is it in use ?????

We haven't seen the front of it yet ;)