Compressor Advice

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dimerocks
Organisation: Coming Soon
Interests: Framing, drawing and animation.

Compressor Advice

Post by dimerocks »

Hello!

So I'm recently after taking over a framing studio and am getting it ready for a reopening. It's all a bit daunting and deep end but lots of fun.

Anyway, first thing I need to sort out is a replacement for my compressor. I've found a replacement Sagola 780 which to me looks ideal but in all honesty I haven't a clue what I'm looking for besides a certain litre capacity.

Is anyone familiar with this machine, or better still what specific things do I need to look out for when buying a compressor? I'm worried I'll do something stupid and buy one that's going to shoot nails right through my moulds.

Hope people can help
Graysalchemy

Re: Compressor Advice

Post by Graysalchemy »

What you will need is a silent compressor with a 50l tank. Bambi's seem to be what most people use here in the UK but i realise you are in Spain. Having a 50L tank will give you the opportunity to upgrade to a pneumatic underpinner in the future. What you don't want is a belt driven piston compressor, the sound will drive you made and leave you deaf.

Hope that helps
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

I believe there is a regulation at least in the UK (so possibly in Europe) that requires air tanks over 25 litres be annually inspected. Probably why Bambi and others produce a pump with 24l tanks.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Under regulations Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 (UK) a tank which has a Volume x pressure greater than 250 bar/L need inspecting by a 'competent' person. So if you have a 25L tank operating at above 10 bar then you would need it inspecting, if its below then you won't. But 25L at 10 bar isn't going to run any machinery apart from a tab gun or an airblower in a busy workshop.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Graysalchemy wrote: 250 bar/L
Pedantic point: "Bar litres" actually - i.e. pressure multiplied by volume; not "Bars per litre" i.e pressure divided by volume, as written above.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

You are very correct james I doff my hat.
dimerocks

Post by dimerocks »

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

So looking at the advert again, no mention of Bar Litres unfortunately but i think its a goer. So if I'm right in what he says and my understanding of all your advice;

If I've got a tank of 150L and what looks like pressure of 3.5kg/cm which I think means its 3.43 BAR....if what I am seeing here is correct.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/press ... d_569.html

Also there is mention of 3/4 CV which I guess is to do with power supply and should be fine...I hope :head:

Its not belt driven the machines anyway and the guy says though its maybe 10 years old he's never had problems and its fairly quiet.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

3 bar isn't much at all, I run everything at 8 bar especially for cleaning glass. You wouldn't also run a tab gun or any machinery at that.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Yes, 3.5kg/cm is 3.43 bar.

http://www.tlcolors.com/viewaOdQvKKP.html

I'm guessing it's this one? I'm not an expert in compressors, but I'm not sure that's the right sort. That says 150 litres /minute. I don't think it has a tank, hence it's supplying the low pressure continuously.

By the way, 3/4 CV is 0.75 HP (near enough) - a Spanish measure of power; a CV is 0.75kW.
dimerocks

Post by dimerocks »

You are dead right James! The search continues. And I guess at least now I've learned a little.
Still looking for a second hand one for the time being I think.

Thanks guys!